project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reintall 2.5 Dev  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Quercus_pt

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Reintall 2.5 Dev
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:40 pm »
Hi all,

I have downloaded in March the version 2.5 dev from the installer.

I see that some of the bugs have been fixed. How can i incorporate the new release in my version without loosing the saves?

Also, i live in Mozambique, so the internet connection is very slow and irregular, is it possible without having to download the 1.1 Gb again?

Cheers,

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Reintall 2.5 Dev
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »
To locate and backup your saves, read the information here which tells you how to find your ufoconsole.log. In that same folder you'll see a directory with save files. Simply copy those to back them up. Uninstalling the old version and installing the new shouldn't overwrite the saves, but it's always good to backup.

Next to the full installer on the download page there is a link to just the binaries. This will cover changes to the source code, but not the full data -- sometimes it works to just update the binaries but sometimes changes in the source code require changes in the data, so it probably wouldn't work to go from March to today with just binaries.

The best thing in your situation if you plan on regularly updating is to follow the steps to checkout our git repository and compile yourself. But this does require a certain amount of technical knowledge and a ~6gb download up front, so it depends on how determined you are. :)

Offline Quercus_pt

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Reintall 2.5 Dev
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 05:02:07 pm »
Thank you for the info.

My biggest problem is the base bug, do you think that the binaries update fix those?

I am clueless when it comes to computer technical knowledge other the userfriendly stuff... and 6 GB download!! dont think so...

Its better to download the full source if the base bug isnt fixable with the binaries and wait for the stable release to come out!

Once again,

Thank you and great work!

Cheers