project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Can‘t research „Live Alien“ in 2.5 dev  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Magniff

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Can‘t research „Live Alien“ in 2.5 dev
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »
As mentioned I‘m unable to research the „Live organic alien“ technology! :-[
But until I post this as a bug, I want to make sure I didn’t miss something important.

I‘ve already researched the „Alien breathing apparatus“ technology and captured a living organic alien (Taman) on the battlefield.
The Alien is displayed at the alien containment-screen and it‘s also visible on the main-screen of that base.
Additionally there was no massage which acknowledged me about new research options.

As an additional slightly confusing fact, there are two types of Taman-corpses stored in my containment-facility (At least they are occupying two different slots of my containment-facility).

My current version of UFO AI is „2.5 Win32 Dec 9“, but my campaign was originally started in "UFO AI 2.5 Win32 Nov 24".
A corresponding savegame is attached.

Thanks in advance for responses
Magniff
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:34:59 pm by Magniff »

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Can‘t research „Live Alien“ in 2.5 dev
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »
  So from your save, I used double stun and brought back another alien, but no Live Alien pop-up..  so I tried again, this time I dropped the Plasma Pistol and used the double stun, and brought back another alien but still no Live Alien option.  So I unequipped the pistol and used the Stun Rod in main hand.. but I shot stunned the last alien so I don't know if it would have worked any differently.. or maybe the double stun just doesn't work.. I honestly don't know but either way - the shot stun does.

With your guys just single stun the alien, then shoot em with any weapon, instead of just dying they go down stunned. (There is a chance that it will die on you from the bleed damage, but you can use the First Aid on it if you must.)  When you bring one back this way the research option will come up.

EDIT:  Oh, and as a side note after the research option comes up.. even if you kill all the aliens in the base you can still research Live Alien.. which seems kinda contradictory ..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:05:16 am by Wolls »

Offline Magniff

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:07:27 am »
Thanks a lot Wolls, for your tremendous effort.
I will try out your capturing method.

But this sounds like there is something buggy with alien-capture research, doesn‘t it?
Can anybody confirm this game behavior as intended?

Best regards
Magniff

Offline Magniff

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »
I‘ve tried to stun an alien with two single charges of the stunrod (equipt in the right hand & blaster dropped on the ground).
Once again the stunned organic alien arrives save in my containment but no new research-options show up.
Instead of trying Wolls first stun afterward shoot method, I‘ve experimented with the raws a bit.

More specifically I‘ve modded the „research_logic.ufo“ file at „UFOAI-2.5-dev\base\0ufos.pk3\ufos\“,
by changing the requirements of the logic-tech „rs_contained_organic_alien“ to „alienglobal 1“.
After applying these changes and loading my attached savegame (see post 1) the correct research option as well as the right acknowledgment Mail are triggered.

This somehow buggy behavior seems to be related to the way „rs_contained_organic_alien“ counts organic aliens and the two different types of taman-bodys in my containment-facility.

I‘m still not sure whether this is a real bug or if it was created by updating UFO-AI 2.5 from Nov 24 to Dec 9.
If anybody else recognizes comparable problems without having updated his version of UFO-AI during his current campaign, please post in this thread.

Best regards
Magniff
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:50:53 pm by Magniff »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:18:55 am »
Should be fixed, I added the additional taman variants to rs_contained_organic_alien and with that the research and corresponding mail show in your attached save (after opening the research screen at least once)

Offline Magniff

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:28 pm »
Problem solved before any real bug-report was written ─ that‘s what I call high-speed bugfixing!

Thanks a lot DarkRain!