project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Crash on geoscape enemy encounter  (Read 2405 times)

Offline dekaydence

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Crash on geoscape enemy encounter
« on: November 05, 2012, 06:24:11 pm »
Hey,

The moment my stilleto touches an enemy fighter on the world map it sometimes freezes for a second, however, it crashed two times uptil now. Everything else is running fine without any major slowdown. I am using a laptop with an integrated card and 4gb ram.

Offline NocLQ3V7

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on geoscape enemy encounter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
I'm total UFO:AI newbie, but have you read this and related articles?
http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,3130.0.html
I'm asking this as there is not much information to work with from your post, so it is bit difficult to provide appropriate help.

Anyway, one of the basic things is do you use 2.4 or 2.5-dev version and if dev version what is date of your dev version?

I had 1st Nov version that did crash a lot, then I downloaded only latest.zip (4th Nov) and put that into my UFO:AI program folder, now it crashes very rarely and I see there is already newer versions up, guys are working very hard with code it seems, so worth to download zip and install that as it can already cure your issue or make new ones as is usual with development.

Place where I got that zip (ufoai-latest-win32.zip for 2.5-dev version):
http://ufoai.org/snapshots/

Then it is your hardware and driver versions, what model processor (cpu), what model graphics card (gpu), you can use cpu-z and gpu-z free programs to find out hardware of your system if not currently 100% certain, even cpu-z might be enough in your case as it does show what is your gpu also. After knowing that, making sure you have latest drivers might also provide some help.

For example, with my laptop, there is Core 2 Duo P8600 cpu and Radeon HD 4320 gpu, but instead of using mobility catalyst or HP manufacturer's driver, I put catalyst meant for 4 series of cards, version 12.6, works so much better from some odd reason.

Offline dekaydence

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
 I'm using the 2.4 version and I am more asking for help than reporting a bug.
The laptop isn't really for games, but it's a Celeron 1.6G, with an Intel HD graphics card, as it says. As I mentioned, nothing hinders the game in anyway apart from this thing, so I presume it's not a performance issue.

Offline NocLQ3V7

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
 I'm using the 2.4 version and I am more asking for help than reporting a bug.
The laptop isn't really for games, but it's a Celeron 1.6G, with an Intel HD graphics card, as it says. As I mentioned, nothing hinders the game in anyway apart from this thing, so I presume it's not a performance issue.

I remember reading about Intel graphics being very sensitive to drivers used, now I can't remember if it was regards to UFO:AI or other game, but what I remember is that not having most recent driver caused crashing/not starting issues, also I remember someone saying Intel's drivers being bit of bad. Anyway check most current driver from Intel's site and see if you have same or older version and update if needed.

I have not tested 2.4, so I don't know much about it, there might be something specific to 2.4 too, but maybe someone else can tell more of typical reasons for described issues with 2.4 version of UFO:AI.

For bug reporting or problems in general, lot of the same applies, much easier to work when one knows basics of specific setup, conditions, versions etc. So it is good practice that will yield better results sooner, hopefully easy graphics driver update would be a solution, if not that, then it might require bit more work, or even be unsolvable, always so many options :)

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:18:33 am »
Slowdown at interception is a known bug in v2.4, but I have never seen anyone reporting a crash associated with that, anyway if you are on windows (and I assume you are, because that bug was windows only) you can try the patch provided by Muton here and see if that helps.