project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Help us out: how many scientists do you have?  (Read 8672 times)

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Help us out: how many scientists do you have?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:00 am »
jcjordan: it's now configured so that you can reach the Herakles dropship (12 soldiers) around the same time as the Starchaser (research a Supply UFO). After researching the Stingray in the late-game you can then research a Raptor dropship.

Ok thanks I've got one in the queue but haven't got around to researching it yet as I was focusing on weapons/armor as I'm getting killed by the advanced alien weapons now coming on line. Is that change effective in my early Oct version (dated the 4th IIRC) or is that on a more current version?

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 01:36:43 am »
Okay, I'm now to June with 50 scientists and the longest thing to research was the Dragon.

Offline Lynol

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:25:07 am »
Dev 2.5 ersion, hard campaign, June, 10 scientists, 1 lab. Didn't actually research anything beside some autopsies. Still use starting weapons because I like them, but begin to wonder how far I can go since I need to empty a SMG magazine at point blank range to kill a Taman in armor. Has been super fun so far.

Just began working on Plasma weapons. Second lab is just about to finish, plenty of scientists to recruit. Way more than I need. Some with workers, but I guess I don't have anything to produce yet...

I used my starting money and fundings to build extra bases for radar coverage and interceptor pads + a small garrison. Kept the nations super happy and the money rolling, but my research is way behind what other players probably have at this point. But that's just my approach, I like it a lot.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:09 am »
Standard difficulty:

November 2084, 40 scientists, I made a rush for that amount. It seems ideal to keep up with new items to research, I occasionally have nothing to research before getting something new that opens new possibilities.

Money...well. I have problems keeping Asian Republic and Revolutionary countries happy as my main base in in Asia Minor, so they're outta coverage. I just built a base in Texas, adv. radar and interceptors are up and running, working on defenses and dropship capability. Funding isn't enough to afford everything right away even with selling useless alien items. Affording second workshop base, another interceptor/dropship base and offbase radars with SAMs to protect them seem to be distant future, if I'll ever be able to break even with that.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 01:36:22 am »
@Lynol: Sniper Rifles work for a long time. Two to three shots will still flatten even an Armored Taman. I haven't run into a Sniper Rifle replacement yet though.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 02:38:52 am »
@Lynol: Sniper Rifles work for a long time. Two to three shots will still flatten even an Armored Taman. I haven't run into a Sniper Rifle replacement yet though.

Even one is enough if you are willing to wait a few turns till he dies from bleeding.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 10:48:31 am »
November now and I'm up to 60 Scientists. Was going to hire more but at the moment the list of Research projects is small and my Interceptor fleet is in need of replenishment.

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »
Standard difficulty: July with 40 scientists. The first time I haven't maxed out my scientists.

Is it me or are the projects whizzing by? I think my 40 brains went through the astrogation, detection, and propulsion all in a single week.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »
40 scientists seem ideal for standard. There's only few dull spots with no research, and it's about maximum you can stuff into main base without compromising on anything if you move all your production into secondary base.