project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.5 dev changes questions  (Read 3686 times)

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
2.5 dev changes questions
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:48:50 am »
I've done some searching but didn't find anything that answered my questions but some topics did touch on it.

1) What are the effects of the different healing choices on a soldier they were used on - antipsychotics & stimulants (healing I get)

2) why the lower ammo of the electromagnetic rifle (from 8 to 2)? I realize it's now more of a step up sniper rifle than in previous versions

3) How are the Alien gas grenades produced? I seem to get them from missions but are they automatically produced at a certain rate & appear at my bases or are they recovered items from missions? They seem to available at start.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 dev changes questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:22:22 am »
2) why the lower ammo of the electromagnetic rifle (from 8 to 2)? I realize it's now more of a step up sniper rifle than in previous versions.

They are an extraordinarily accurate and powerful weapon for the early game, so they have high TU costs (that includes reloads). There's also a "story" reason. In order to stay accurate, the rails along which the projectile are shot must be replaced after every shot or every other shot or something like that. Can't remember, but the point is you can't pack a lot of shots into the reload. I may have gone overboard with the TU costs a bit, but I'll revisit it at some point.

3) How are the Alien gas grenades produced? I seem to get them from missions but are they automatically produced at a certain rate & appear at my bases or are they recovered items from missions? They seem to available at start.

I think the aliens begin using them from the start of the game. They are items recovered from missions.

Nokim

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »
I think the aliens begin using them from the start of the game. They are items recovered from missions.
Yes, Aliens bring their gas grenades from the start but i never seen them using them neither on civilians nor on my soldier. Otherwise it would be VERY dungerous weapon in their hands.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:44:56 pm »
1) What are the effects of the different healing choices on a soldier they were used on - antipsychotics & stimulants (healing I get)
stimulants: heal stun damage, soldiers may regain consciousness if healed enough.
antipsychotics: increase morale, I'm not really fond of the name for this, but no one has suggested something different yet so...

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 01:20:08 am »
Yes, Aliens bring their gas grenades from the start but i never seen them using them neither on civilians nor on my soldier. Otherwise it would be VERY dungerous weapon in their hands.

I've never seen them used either & Alien use of grenades is very rare from what I've seen since 2.3 (the first version I started w/)

Thanks for the other replies. I just wondered what the reasoning was behind the drop in ammo for the Electromagentic & yes I does seem to be a "killer" rifle so thought it might be along the lines of what the coilgun was in 2.4

How about something along the lines of boosters for antipsych but do agree nothing seems to really fit to me either.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:30:21 am »
Well the AI actors will only use weapons in their hands, never looking at the rest of their inventory (aside form reloads) unless they lose their primary weapon(s) somehow.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 06:08:28 pm »

As far as I can understand from reading the source code, AI tries to maximize damage per turn, thus ignoring all useful side-effects of non-lethal ammo.

Nokim

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:00 am »
Just imagine consequences of losing mission due to all soldiers stunned. Aliens will get all info from them, equipment etc. And can try infiltrate into base using them.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »
How about Adrenalin instead of Anti-psych?