project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Civilian-Kill-Count in 2.4?  (Read 10010 times)

Offline Rolfhirsch

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Civilian-Kill-Count in 2.4?
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »
Hello!

Iam searching for an oportunity to disable the Civilian-Kill-Count in UFO: AI in Version 2.4. My Savegame isn't playable anymore. Althrogh all Nations like my at least "neutral" Iam getting always the Game Over Screen after a few hours of playing.

I have tried to change settings via opening and editing the ufos/campaigns, but I found nothing like "civiliankillcounter".

Begging for help,
Rolfhirsch

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian-Kill-Count in 2.4?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:47:26 pm »
I found nothing like "civiliankillcounter".
That's because there hasn't been such a thing as a civilian kill counter since v 2.1, it's all about nation happiness now, also, changing campaigns.ufo will only affect new campaigns not current ones.
Maybe you can attach the save so someone can have a look at it?

Offline Rolfhirsch

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:56:48 pm »
Thank you for your quick answer!

Ok, I guess its good that the killcounter is history. Colleteral damage isn't that bad for a terrifieing alien invasion atmosphrere. But Iam still confused with my savegame.

The gameover screen tells me, that too many civilians died and the UN disbanned me. Than I found a post from 2008 where I read about that civilian kill counter. So I'Ve thought this would be the problem.  :o

Is there an Option to updload the savegame directly into my post?

Rolfhirsch

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
You should see "Attachments and other options" below the text entry area when you are posting, you can attach a file there.

Offline Rolfhirsch

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:44 pm »
Ok.  ;)

Here is the save!

Iam really desperate about this. Such a great game and Iam to stupid to play it.  ;D

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:17:36 pm »
The gameover screen tells me, that too many civilians died and the UN disbanned me.
oh does it really?

i always thought that in 2.4 it would say something like: 'all you phalanx agents are good for is breaking windows with your ir-goggles.'

Offline Rolfhirsch

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:12:53 pm »
 :)

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? It would be really sad if not. I love that game!

Regards,
Rolfhirsch

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »
One thing I noticed is the mission count. Twelve missions played within three ingame months seems somewhat low to me.

What difficulty are you playing?

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »
i wonder if the game creates the number of civilians in the ground battle map based on population density where you shot down the ufo?

then it would make sense to try to shoot down the ufo-s in less populated areas.
i mean, nations would certainly be happy if the ufo-s didn't crash in towns and cities with lots of civilian casualties.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »
If you're not shooting down and killing every UFO you can, the nations will turn against you. In the early game there are some UFOs (Harvesters) that are too deadly to shoot down. But you should be fighting every mission they create when they land. And trying to shoot down every Scout and Fighter flying around.

Offline noctilucus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 11:52:36 am »
i wonder if the game creates the number of civilians in the ground battle map based on population density where you shot down the ufo?

then it would make sense to try to shoot down the ufo-s in less populated areas.
i mean, nations would certainly be happy if the ufo-s didn't crash in towns and cities with lots of civilian casualties.

I'd be surprised if the game kept that into account.
My feeling is that in 2.4 the first 2-3 months are particularly tough, after that it's getting better as you can afford building more bases that span more continents, get more missions, more cash, etc.
Like H-Hour says, jump on every mission you can, shoot down every scout and -if possible- every fighter. In the beginning I was hesitant to shoot down fighters since I didn't have the cash to loose too many aircraft; some nations dropped to neutral or even below in the first 2 months but I managed to crawl out of that hole, getting everyone to at least happy.

You'll indeed need more than 12 missions in 3 months... Do you have the cash to build at least some radars and SAM sites on other continents? Or even better, another base?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

this is the case - the game uses a population map (stored base/pics/geoscape/) for this.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:03:24 am »
thumbs up on that, great way to make the earth population matter.
so far i had just thought of dropping ufo-s in less populated areas as overdone roleplay that didn't have any real effect on the game.

now that i think of it, if there was (maybe i just have not noticed) a hint in game saying that it matters where player crashes ufo-s, would i trust it?
well... no, i would think it is just another flavor text.

as for reducing civilian kill count, dropping ufo-s in the sea should therefore be effective.

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:38 pm »
as for reducing civilian kill count, dropping ufo-s in the sea should therefore be effective.

In 2.3 at least, I found killing UFOs over water to be the only way to go. Constantly clearing crash sites really slowed down the game flow and offered no valuable salvage. Made me really wish that some significant percentage of UFOs would fully destruct midair or on impact rather than always creating a crash site that requires a ground battle. And then those that did make a crash landing would still be carrying salvageable antimatter. (Unless I recall incorrectly, you cannot get antimatter from crashed, damaged UFOs).

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:58:28 am »
maybe one of the reasons i don't have many problems with nations in my games is that i tend to start in not so densely populated areas.
lake baykal is one of my favorites (or if i decide to build all bases on islands to make the aliens walk through ocean to attack my base by land i start at an island near alaska).

the other reason is probably that i start a second base right away and make it functional before doing anything else.