project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Possible game related fraud on Ebay  (Read 8244 times)

Offline raziel81

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Possible game related fraud on Ebay
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:06:14 am »
Hey everyone, I'm new on the forum but I have been following this project for a while now.
Recently I've noticed that their is an online store on ebay that is selling this game which as far as I know is freeware...
The store is  mtsoftwaresolutions_us  and also media-portal. Isn't this illegal? Shouldn't someone in the forum notify ebay about this? I find this truly outrageous imho.

Regardless, I love this project, I can't wait for the 2.5 stable version to go up as 2.5 has so many great changes built into it when compared to 2.4.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Possible game related fraud on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:09:38 am »
Welcome to the forums. Our free and open source licensing allows third parties to modify (or not) and sell UFO: Alien Invasion. The licensing structure is designed to allow others to build upon, modify, or use our content for commercial and non-commercial products. In other words, we seek maximum utility and flexibility. But that also means that legally there's nothing wrong with taking the game as-is and selling it online, as this guy is doing.

Offline raziel81

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:36 am »
i doubt that they modified it in anyway in particular. But that does seem like a sleazy way to make a buck off what is actually a free video game.
But if its legit then its no concern of mine.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:41:47 am »
Welcome to the forums. Our free and open source licensing allows third parties to modify (or not) and sell UFO: Alien Invasion. The licensing structure is designed to allow others to build upon, modify, or use our content for commercial and non-commercial products. In other words, we seek maximum utility and flexibility. But that also means that legally there's nothing wrong with taking the game as-is and selling it online, as this guy is doing.
And iam still asking my self why the hell iam working on this game... ;)

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »
I will just leave this here

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/software.html
Policy overview

Certain types of software - including academic, beta and OEM software - aren’t allowed on eBay, or certain restrictions apply when listing them, as described below.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

---

Beta software can't be listed on eBay. These are early copies of software distributed by software developers strictly for the purpose of evaluation and troubleshooting.

Not allowed
Beta software, including test, prototype, and evaluation software
Beta keys, including beta cards and access codes
Previously redeemed or activated beta codes
Digitally-delivered beta codes

Offline aestend

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »
As long as the seller is using one of the release versions, then it's not beta. If he's selling something based off nightly, then that would be a different story.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »
There's someone selling it on eBay for £2.99 in the UK but they make it clear:

"My charges is for my services only, like cost of the cd-r and the time to send the cd-r to you.  Items contained on this cd-r under of the gnu license or can be freely downloaded from net, this listing is fully compliant with EBAYS'S Vero programme."

I do raise an eyebrow at this statement: "You get 100% fully working software" isn't qualified to say the game is a work in progress.

Offline Wh1sper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »
For me as a non native English language speaker is the first offer clearly designed to dupe the potential customer.
After reading the whole small legal readings it is clear. No boxed Package, nothing more than a customized installer.
The seller may argument "its for user with no internet access" but selling such at an Online platform  :o
Hopefully this will no success in the sense of making money.

Offline raziel81

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »
I can't help but think that someone should do something about this, if no one here has any objections I have a mind to bring this to ebay's attention myself.

Offline Wh1sper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »
raziel: thank you, its my opinion, too.

Offline raziel81

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »
I reported this is a beta item to ebay. It just kept nagging at me that someone's trying to make a buck of an open source product. Its just wrong.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »
I reported this is a beta item to ebay. It just kept nagging at me that someone's trying to make a buck of an open source product. Its just wrong.

Our beta is not like a commercial beta product, but we will see...

-geever

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:22 pm »
I'm surprised you guys didn't think of it first...

Offline Jokohono

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:00 pm »
Hello there, at first I want to say that you guys doing a great job and I really like your game/project!

MT Software Solutions is still/again selling Ufo AI on Ebay and calls it products copyrighted.

"This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of this DVD-ROM is prohibited."

http://www.ebay.de/itm/UFO-AI-Enemy-Unknown-Xcom-Type-Windows-Game-PC-MAC-/120655384520?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item1c179f0fc8

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:51:52 pm »
Okay, thats NOT okay...