project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Research Tree and Alien Base(s)  (Read 12450 times)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Research Tree and Alien Base(s)
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 01:21:21 am »
What co-ordinates you would like you us to show?

-geever

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 04:05:37 am »
longtitude / latitude?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 10:27:31 am »
longtitude / latitude?

Of what? The mouse positions? I don't see how would it help finding the alien bases...

-geever

Offline bit5nip3r

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »
You can send aircraft out on patrols, even if the aircraft is at a base.  If you click on the base containing your craft, click on aircraft, select the aircraft you want, then under the description tab, above the aircraft health status there is a little picture of a house with an arrow coming out of it.  Click on it and then you can send you aircraft out on patrol.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:57 am »
yes, the mouse, couched as the longtitude / latitude of the Earth - or perhaps the GPS (ie your mouse position maps to the earth's long / lat -- ie the old way of navigation)... because if we're tracking the UFO with our mouse, and it suddenly vanishes, we have an idea that something just happened over at X,Y coordinate. So when we go into our base to  bring our aircraft out to patrol, then come back out to the world map, we have a good idea where to send them -- rather than go... doh... now where did it happen again...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:18:10 am by geisthund »

Nokim

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 08:54:33 pm »
I think there is a better way then to remember coordinates - ability to set labeled marks on globe and direct aircraft to one of that marks later. This will be more user-friendly. However i can't say this is very important feature :)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »
I think there is a better way then to remember coordinates - ability to set labeled marks on globe and direct aircraft to one of that marks later. This will be more user-friendly. However i can't say this is very important feature :)

one of my secret plans is making it possible to put pins on the geo.

-geever

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 09:04:14 am »
sounds good!

by the way - I realized somewhere along the way the UFOs were just popping into existence (the story made this clearer later that they were jumping into our dimension, right?) -- after I kept trying to scout their spawn points to see if there were bases there.

Maybe we can make spawn points work like "gates" for a certain number of hours, with a certain number of UFOs appearing from that point -- and if you "intercept" that "point" an interesting mission could begin with the player trying to close off a jump gate before more aliens / ships jumped in

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:36 am »
geisthund: spoiler alert -- you probably haven't read this.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 10:27:49 am »
geisthund: spoiler alert -- you probably haven't read this.
We should exchange in the Result Mail the "VW Beetle" with "small car".

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »
Ah. No, I hadn't (actually, I had but it didn't stick) -- hence the alien carrier mission etc.

Nice, but this only really shows up right at the end of the game, as a windup to the big finale.

I thought the opportunity for a bunch of less important submissions opening up would be interesting for players -- to reduce rate of UFO appearances, engage in a high stakes battle... perhaps gaining new research opportunities etc. Also it makes one look forwards a little to a UFO popping out of nowhere -- because now you WANT to know where it appeared FROM.

But the carrier way works too.