project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Herakles: A death trap?  (Read 9557 times)

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Herakles: A death trap?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 07:42:39 pm »
I tried to fix all the tiles shortly before the release, apparently it was too late for them to go into 2.4. In 2.5-dev there should be no more buggy Herakles maps.
As of sometime in the last week or so, IIRC, soldiers on Hills still started on top of the transport in 2.5-dev. I'll see if I can't get a Herc over next time that map spawns (or, you know, I could skirmish… but that would be too easy!).

~J

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 08:44:59 pm »
As of sometime in the last week or so, IIRC, soldiers on Hills still started on top of the transport in 2.5-dev. I'll see if I can't get a Herc over next time that map spawns (or, you know, I could skirmish… but that would be too easy!).

~J

After some careful examination I have to admit you are right. Somehow I missed this one.  :-[

Fixed. Thanks for this.

ChemBro

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 12:05:29 am »
Well, I thought, I could hide  behind the wall of the Herakles, but turns out: I'm wrong. :-) As you can see in the screenshot, the last part of the wall of the Herakles isn't a wall. I can shoot through it and as you can see: Aliens can, too (poor Keith). And as far as I know, the last part of the wall was used as a stair way for my soldiers for those, who wanted to get off from ontop the transporter.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 01:29:26 am »
I already have the prefab fixed. I think I will just go ahead and replace them all.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 02:02:14 am »
After playing a mission or two with the herakles, I think it's a good ship.  This is the way XCOM used to be, landing and then having to fight your way off the ship.  That first step off the ship was the scariest moment.  It was something I kind of missed in UFO:AI when we'd land and have our soldiers already deployed, in sometimes not so good patterns.  I never really liked it when half the squad is positioned on the side of the ship away from the aliens and lose basically a turn trying to get them to the other side. I like fighting my way off the ship.

That said, some things that might make it better:

- I always wanted the ability to set the order of my troops.  Since technically, the moment the door opens we should be ready to go.  I'd love to have my assault guys up front ready to head out, my snipers close behind already crouched and ready to acquire targets.  Would it be possible to set the order at least of our troops in the drop ship?   Maybe just assign numbers to each position and let us order the troops in the squad assignment.  You have ways of setting the priority of items on the Production list; could use the same method to move soldiers up and down the list to order them.

- Maybe a window or two on the sides so we can see out?  Possibly sniper holes?  That would make it easier to figure out what is going on around us.  Yes it makes us a target, but I find it hard to believe we'd build a ship with no radar or windows.  For a long term idea, maybe put a radar on it and have it highlight the people standing nearby, civies as well as aliens.

- The alien AI needs to learn to hide somewhat.  It just rushes the entrance.  It's almost too easy to just sit back and wait for them to position themselves at the door to be picked off.  Not sure if all the maps have the same issue.

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50:56 am »
Meh. It's not a death trap. Not in the case of Herakles. It just feels like a death trap. It's your instincts nagging. A natural warrior's reaction to the geometrical shape of the starting space.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 05:40:49 am »
I always wanted the ability to set the order of my troops.

The alien AI needs to learn to hide somewhat.  It just rushes the entrance.

I hope eventually we'll have something like this for ordering troops. And alien AI is of course in need of work.

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:36 am »
nice!

Online geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 11:19:03 am »
- I always wanted the ability to set the order of my troops.

It is possible - at least in 2.5, but you could test it in 2.4 either - the order the soldiers are added to the Dropship affects the spawn order. It is not a feature at the moment but a useful sideeffect of the data structures behind, we plan to make a better UI for team management. I should also mention that removing soldiers from the dropship (to rearrange them) will de-equip them so you will need to add them their weapons and equipment again.

-geever

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
The order is irrelevant unless it corresponds to consistent soldier spawn locations in the maps. This feature also requires every starting location map tile to be adjusted.