project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: how smoke nades work?  (Read 4579 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
how smoke nades work?
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:05:38 pm »
It is my understanding that the alien ai still knows where the player's troops are at all times, so in what way are smoke grenades useful? Does blocking line of sight prevent them from shooting anyway? Or are they only useful in multiplayer games?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: how smoke nades work?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »
Does blocking line of sight prevent them from shooting anyway?

I think so. They are a recent addition, so please let us know what you find when using them.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50:14 am »
They seem to work that way. I'm a bit bummed though that they last just for one round and then completely vanish, a two or three round duration would have made them a lot more useful.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:43 pm »
They seem to work that way. I'm a bit bummed though that they last just for one round and then completely vanish, a two or three round duration would have made them a lot more useful.

Yeah, as a late feature they didn't have a chance to get well balanced, but I think this change will be made for 2.5-dev.

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:37:34 pm »
Note that the Shevaar aliens supposedly can see in infrared, according to the autopsy report anyway. So, they should be able to see you even through walls, not to mention some measly smoke. I have no idea how the AI handles smoke though. I mean, do the aliens know they can shoot through smoke, and that it's not hard material like walls, even if both block line of sight?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:40:21 pm »
Note that the Shevaar aliens supposedly can see in infrared, according to the autopsy report anyway. So, they should be able to see you even through walls, not to mention some measly smoke. I have no idea how the AI handles smoke though. I mean, do the aliens know they can shoot through smoke, and that it's not hard material like walls, even if both block line of sight?

in-game text says it's not just a puff of smoke but a sci-fi version, which blocks ir and whatnot. heck, while at it they could've developed a bulletproof smoke as well ;)

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »

Note that actually infra-red goggles can't really look behind even the thinnest of walls. A sheet of glass blocks IR and a thick smoke would block IR most certainly.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »
Note that actually infra-red goggles can't really look behind even the thinnest of walls. A sheet of glass blocks IR and a thick smoke would block IR most certainly.

But in ufo:ai world, ir goggles actually do see through walls

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:48:35 pm »
But in ufo:ai world, ir goggles actually do see through walls
Yup, UFO:AI is setted in a parallel universe where ir goggles are capable to see through walls.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »
Maybe them googles should be named something else instead? Like, I don't know, target scanner visors or whatever unless someone comes up with a plausible techie name. Or, James Bond Ray Bans would work too ;)

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »
in-game text says it's not just a puff of smoke but a sci-fi version, which blocks ir and whatnot. heck, while at it they could've developed a bulletproof smoke as well ;)

I find that incendiary grenades do that rather well, actually.
Either that or my game is broken.