project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How much Reaction Fire?  (Read 13092 times)

Offline Wulf Corbett

• Rookie
    • View Profile
How much Reaction Fire?
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »
I'm not sure what question I should be asking here...

Back in 2.3.1 my squads were set to multiple Reaction Fire (except the grenade launcher...) unless I needed the AP. But in 2.4 restart, I can only set Reaction Fire off or on - no multiple shots. Thing is, I seem to remember that being the case in the past, when I started playing...

So, has this changed in 2.4? Do the squaddies need to have a minimum limit for multiple shots? Or am I missing something?

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How much Reaction Fire?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:32 am »
2.4 RF will always be multi-shot until TUs are exausted.

Offline Wulf Corbett

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:17:03 am »
Hmm... that's good, I think. Can't think of a downside. There will be one, I'm sure...

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:53:14 am »
How is working the RF on the 2.4? My soldiers are very "slow" for reaction fire, even with full TUs. I don´t know why, because in 2.3.1, my soldiers almost every time react, if not at first time, they do it after the alien makes his shot.

Sorry for my english.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
In 2.4 reaction fire is calculated on a simple basis. If soldier A has enough TUs and reaction fire is set to ON, he will fire at an enemy he sees when that enemy has spent the same number of TUs, within view of the soldier, as the soldier's reaction firemode costs.

Offline Wulf Corbett

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:33:31 pm »
So, set Snapshot as the reaction fire and you'll get more reaction fire... That makes sense, I'll have to take a look at my squads.

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:03 am »
Mmmm i understand now. I was using burst fire on my reaction fire. It make sense.

Thanks

Offline Omnivore

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 11:31:21 am »
In 2.4 reaction fire is calculated on a simple basis. If soldier A has enough TUs and reaction fire is set to ON, he will fire at an enemy he sees when that enemy has spent the same number of TUs, within view of the soldier, as the soldier's reaction firemode costs.

Please explain how overwatch with a MG (LMG/SAW) is supposed to work with this.  The firing costs are correctly set high so that the MG can't be used as a heavy assault rifle, but if I understand your explanation, that same high cost makes it useless for reaction fire. 

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »
We currently have no mechanism for properly implementing a dedicated overwatch role. The same problem exists for our sniper rifles.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »
How it works? You hope the enemy walks around and misses.

Basicly, alines walks into view.
It spends 4TU's moving in view, then 12 TU's to fire his plasma gun.
That 16 TU's so far.
He tries to get another shot off, but that puts his total at 28 TU's and the MG's fire costs 24 TU's. MG fires first.

So yes, this makes the MG not-so-optimal for reaction fire.

However, if supressive fire makes it in, it will make MG more usefull.

Another change that might be good is is the reaction fire/Owerwatch mode reduced the TU cost needed to fire (gun already raised, pointed and primed), but reduces ones FoW.

Offline Omnivore

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:32:42 pm »
We currently have no mechanism for properly implementing a dedicated overwatch role. The same problem exists for our sniper rifles.

See that is where I am confused.  The earlier reaction fire model gave us overwatch.  Now with this improved realism reaction fire model we lose overwatch and gain...???  Sorry but I don't see the gain. 

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »
I think that isn't very realistic. First, if your soldier is crouching, it is supossed to be in guard, so, any thing that moves will come under a rain of bullets. That is the same for snipering.

So, i think that reaction time could be a measurement of TU, Mind and speed. For example, take the enemy TU spending and compare with the Speed units of the soldier x2 and divided for 10.

Soldier speed stats: 23 the reaction coefficient is 4.6 or 5 points.

Enemy walks three steps; 6 points TU

6 points are more than 5 points, so, the soldier react at this (speed). But, if the enemy walks only 2 steps (4 points), he can shot first. But now, the enemy uses 16 TU shooting, this will be 1.6 or 2 points. So, 2 for shooting plus 4 for walking are 6 points. Now, the soldier can react.

This could be a way to make the reaction more efficient. May be used the mind points, to make a "random" process, in order to apply the lucky factor.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 02:02:08 am »
There are two major problems with RF:
#1: TUs for a shot comprise raising, aiming, triggering (==0) and reloading.
Of course this can be *very* different for different weapons. Think assault gun vs. RL. Those differences are NOT defined in the weapon scripts.
#2: oc aiming at a door where we expect an alien to come out would require almost 0 TUs to RF.
But what if the alien steps out of *another* door that is still in the viewing range of the shooter ??

That's why RF is like it is now...strictly according to TUs. Bare with me.

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 05:06:40 am »
There are two major problems with RF:
#1: TUs for a shot comprise raising, aiming, triggering (==0) and reloading.
Of course this can be *very* different for different weapons. Think assault gun vs. RL. Those differences are NOT defined in the weapon scripts.
#2: oc aiming at a door where we expect an alien to come out would require almost 0 TUs to RF.
But what if the alien steps out of *another* door that is still in the viewing range of the shooter ??

That's why RF is like it is now...strictly according to TUs. Bare with me.

Well...

In my proposal, the differences between weapons comes with the TUs required. It´s supposed that a reaction with a machine gun will do because the shooter is in ready position. By the way, it´s irrelevant because the game do not make diferences between a suprising alien walking in front of a suprised soldier, or a waiting soldier.

If you are aiming at a door, and the alien comes from another, the TUs needed to face to the door must be added to the sum. If it is less than the TUs used by the alien, the soldier react.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:56 pm »

let's clarify something... if an alien spends 8 tu's to walk right in front of your soldier who has a 9tu reaction fire mode set, there will be no reaction fire because 8<9. Then if the alien sits on it's hands for the remaining 20 tu's that it had but didn't use, your guy won't take the reaction shot because the alien in front of him wasn't doing anything?