project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: My UFO: Alien Invasion review  (Read 16301 times)

Ildamos

My UFO: Alien Invasion review
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:09 pm »
I've been playing this game for quite some time now (way back 2007 or so) and I felt it's high time to give it a review and the acknowledgment it deserves. I've also put in my honest feedbacks about the game's low points. I hope nobody will get mad about my 6.5 rating regarding its graphics but in order to be consistent, I had to give it that (I gave several AAA games average scores in the graphics department so it's not that bad).

Anyway, here's my:

Downloadable PC Full Version Freeware Turn-Based Strategy Game UFO: Alien Invasion Review

It's a 5,000-word article so I hope I haven't meandered.

The gameplay is a solid 9.5 though. It's that jaw-dropping. Thank you to the developers who have painstakingly created this game for all X-Com fans.

EDIT: I've also created a UFO: AI album in my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.366486093383501.89907.180717828626996&type=1#!/pages/Imbacore/180717828626996 (If you like the page please Like it :) )
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:33:58 pm by Ildamos »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: My UFO: Alien Invasion review
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »
thanks a lot for the review - it was a pleasure to read.

Ildamos

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 03:34:58 am »
thanks a lot for the review - it was a pleasure to read.

You are welcome!

Sorry for the very late reply but I got inundated with work. Glad to know my review was a pleasure to read!

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 11:46:55 am »
It looks like your review is based on the 2 years old 2.3.1 version? ;) Anyway nice review you wrote although iam a bit sad it doesnt feature the whole new sfx & revisted music play list i contributed to this project for 2.4. :D We also fixed some of the things you criticise, like the weapon sfx for the aircrafts.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:52:02 am by Crystan »

Offline Falkon Nightsdale

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:08:41 pm »
Nicely written  ;)
What strikes me as odd in the base building aspect is that you need to have a dropship to recruit and equip soldiers in
YES! In this case, I consider best was system featured in X-COM:Apocalypse, with each solder having it's personal equipment and teams being created from independently equiped soldiers..
While the game has bugs they occur rarely enough that I don’t find them to be major issues.
I agree... But I must admit, that sniping ET's in parking lot in "bigcity" map isn't very exciting... ???

(Today i deleted ver 2.3.1. and try to dl 2.4)

Intor

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:12:07 pm »
YES! In this case, I consider best was system featured in X-COM:Apocalypse, with each solder having it's personal equipment and teams being created from independently equiped soldiers..

Personally I think it may be better to allow players to make equipment templates for soldiers. They could then select a default template for each soldier, which would make it easier to change their gear. Equipment wouldn't be tied to individual soldiers, but would be assigned to them when needed, i.e. when they leave the base.

Managing equipment and soldiers could be made easier by allowing a player to create squads to which he could assign soldiers and equipment, so soldiers would first take squad equipment, and if there isn't enough, take it from the base's shared storage, but never any equipment assigned to another squad. Perhaps even make it so that a squad brings all their equipment along in the dropship when they leave, including any surplus left after everyone is equipped?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »
Personally I think it may be better to allow players to make equipment templates for soldiers. They could then select a default template for each soldier, which would make it easier to change their gear.
I'd love that. Are there plans regarding this for the new ui?

Offline domanz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »
A little side note, I immediatly thought "halo" as well when spotting the plasma pistol, so I'm with you and your friends. On the other hand, I don't think it's too inappropriate, as I'm all about sharing, but if I were in the developer's shoes, I'd have a little respect towards legal consequences.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »
I think the plasma pistols models are now almost 10 years old.

Offline domanz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »
Haha ok, I didn't want to imply that you deliberatly stole the model or something. But thanks for the reply. Funny how two independent studios get to a very similar model, but hey, we've had that in evolution several times ;) Gaming evolves! (No sarcasm intended)

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 11:00:52 pm »
Well the design is obviously taken over from halo - no question. ;) Maybe someday someone will do a new model *me looks at trashman* :D Probably a design similar to the ship design is a good idea (claw look).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:03:34 pm by Crystan »

Offline domanz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:51:44 pm »
I'd declare a claw look as awesome, for all alien weapons. I don't wanna step on anyone's toes, but I find the looks of the ships superior to the plasma rifle, for example. The sips habve interesting curves, paired with a slick green :)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:20 am »
Meh...guns.. They must have the same funcitions, and thus, any gun you design will resemble SOME other gun out there.
Best not pay it any attention, as it doesn't deserve any.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 09:29:53 am »
True but in fiction, you can just as well stick a poodle on a sword, have it throw some suspiciously green gunk, paint it purple and you could still call it a gun without most folks batting an eye all that much. Of course, it's gonna have an effect on the overall atmosphere and PETA's gonna bitch and whine but who cares about that.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 12:13:20 pm »
We should redesign the game so you have to fight against bunnys,rats and bears as the (P)rofessional (A)ttack (T)ask (E)nforcer Force.