project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Why does the game keep crashing?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline nutbar

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Why does the game keep crashing?
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »
I can not play the game because it crashes when I click on "Start campaign". How do I fix this? Please help! Thank you!

I am playing "ufoai-2.3.1-win32". I am on Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32bit, and using a HP Compaq Presario A940NR Notebook PC. Also, I use Norton antivirus thru Comcast/Xfinity. Thank you!

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Why does the game keep crashing?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:33 am »
I think devs would need some more info to be able to help you, specially useful would be your ufoconsole.log (how to find it)

Also 2.3 is rather old you may be interested in trying the current 2.4 dev version: http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ufoai-latest-win32.exe (which is near to release -- or so we hope)

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:32:38 am by DarkRain »

Offline magerg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:27:09 am »
Hi guys!
My problem seems to persist with the 2.4 version. Had it with 2.4-dev, now with the stable one, too.
After I install the game and start it for the first time, the computer switches to a black screen and freezes.
I have figured it out that something seems to be stuck with the post-installation processes, as the game's base directory is completely empty, except for a 0 length ufoconsole.log. By the way, it stays so, and the game never starts.
I managed still to start the game by copying the config files from the old 2.3.1 version to the base dir, but now mousewheel doesn't work with the geoscape (globe view). I will look up how to configure the mousewheel manually, but this is very user-unfriendly.

Are the config files supposed to be created at first game start? What might I do wrong?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:18:33 am »
Anyway it is a bad idea to use 2.3 data with the 2.4 binary.
You should execute the game from de terminal, maybe you will have some logs

Offline magerg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:54 pm »
I have deleted everything from the base directory, then started the game from command line.
All the files have been generated, now the scrollwheel works, too.
Strange things happen these days...

Offline albedo

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »
Similar problem here: When I started the game on Win7_64bit it crashed on Black screen, even before the intro screen appeared. At this point, the whole computer hang and I had to do a complete system reset.

Until now, the latter observation was a clear hint towards antivirus/access protection problem with Comodo Internet Security. So I set the Firewall and Access Protection to learning mode, started the game once and now everything works fine.  :) (On a first software start, Comodo usually pops up and asks for a user input. Usually this leads to a jump back to Desktop, what probably led to the crash in my case.)