project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Technology Updates  (Read 2552 times)

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Technology Updates
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:50:16 am »
There are a couple of changes that I've made to my own ufo files because they simply made sense to me, and I wanted to find out if there were design philosophies I was violating or if these really were reasonable changes.

equipment.ufo:

Added all equipment that does not require exotic materials to the asymptotic market; includes aerial laser cannon, base defence laser, electrolaser, DF stun cartridges, stun gas grenades, grenade-launcher plasma rounds.

Removed all items that require exotic materials from the asymptotic market; includes nanocomposite armor, coilguns, and coilgun ammo.

research.ufo

Added the electrolaser research project as a prerequisite for DF stun cartridge production.

weapons_human.ufo:

Reduced the size of coilgun ammunition from 2x2 to 2x1; the sniper rifle carries 5 rounds per magazine. A reduced ammo capacity for the coilgun is reasonable, and increasing the size of each magazine or reducing the capacity of each would be justifiable, but both at once feels excessive. I went with reducing the size since it maintains the shots-per-reload ratio while only increasing the overall maximum capacity.

weapons_laser.ufo:
Changed the ammo consumption of the Laser Rifle "Wave Fire" mode to 1. I can't see any reason why the laser rifle alone should have worse ammo efficiency for single shots than the pistol or heavy.

I was also wondering why it was necessary to have a special ammo type for the electrolaser. The fluff seems to suggest that it runs off the same deuterium-flouride cartridges as conventional laser weapons, and the .ufo files look like it shouldn't be a problem to copy-and-paste the DF stun cartridge stats into a sub-set of the standard DF cartridge.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Technology Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:10:50 am »
Regarding the electrolaser see bug 3179217 in the tracker.