project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Texture Errors  (Read 2386 times)

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Texture Errors
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:56 am »
I wiped my Windows drive in a fit of rage when it refused to do as I told it, and gave the empty remains over to my Linux install. I decided to build UFO:AI 2.4 from source so I can continue playing it, and everything appears to have gone fine.

When I ran the program to start a new game, however, I noticed two problems. First, sound effects are being delayed by about three seconds from the events that trigger them. I can click half a dozen buttons before the first sound effect registers. This isn't a huge issue; I can ignore the sound effects.

The second, larger issue is that half the textures appear to be not loading at all or loading incorrectly. Attached are a few screen shots; the errors are consistent within a given session of UFO:AI, but closing and restarting results in different textures being loaded in the problem areas. Take a look at the rocket - It's covered in facial textures!

I have no clue what's wrong with it. The source code, the program I built from it, the maps, and the pk3's are all stored in my home folder. I can't imagine it's a permissions issue, which is what has happened with textures and fonts in a few other games I've run in Linux. Nothing in the log file jumps out at me as being indicative of a problem. I'm at a loss here.

I've already turned of the glsl shader and set all the graphics options to their lowest settings with no success.

Offline OmniscientQ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Texture Errors
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:40 am »
I've played around with the video settings some more, and found some odd behavior.

While in a UFO recovery mission, I went to the video options "Other" tab and selected the "Medium" configuration. Exiting the options menu, all the textures were being rendered correctly. I went in and disabled a few options, like bilinear filtering, dynamic lighting, glsl shaders, etc. My framerate vastly improved and the textures remained in working order. It even lasted back to the geoscape, where I could view the items in all their textured glory in the buy/sell and soldier equip screens.

I exited the program and restarted it, and the textures were back to being completely screwy again. So, I once again opened up the options menu, picked the "Medium" preset, and this time disabled all the options I had disabled before while I was there. Once again, the textures were rendered correctly. I saved my game, exited, and restarted the program once more.

Again, the textures were screwy. I tried using the "Medium" preset (textures were restored!) and immediately exiting the game without making any other changes. Upon restart, the "Medium" preset was still in effect, but the textures were gone again.

I still have no idea what's going on, but I actually got some useful-looking lines in my console. Attached is the console log after loading the game, using the "Medium" preset, and deactivating every checkbox on the "Advanced" tab.