project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Geoscape feature requests  (Read 3850 times)

Offline bilbo

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Geoscape feature requests
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:10:56 pm »
I though of some features that would be nice to have:

1) For ufo yards, show which UFO's are stored there when you click on it to see details

2) For workers or scientists (as they have no statistics) put there two buttons "Hire" / "Sack" that will hire/sack first free person so you don't have to move through the list.

3) For hangars, show image of the aircraft in it, so you'll better see how much of hangars are occupied without having to click on details

4) Ability to kill individual aliens in contanier. Now you can only kill all of them. Sometimes, when you capture a live specimen of type you have not encountered before, you may want to make a space, but not kill all aliens because of this

5) For alien container, there are shown 10 cylinders with aliens. The cylinders could be varying (either dark, or glowing with green light) based on number of aliens stored without having to click on details.

6) Also, storage rooms could have perhaps three or five images ranging from empty shelves to rooms overflowing with many items based on used storage capacity.

7) The same with hospital - you could be able to see how many soldiers are there laying in beds.

8) For crashed UFO's of known type (when the type is shown before it is shot down), the text "Crashed Ufo ([place where it was shot down])" could include the type of the ufo - making it a bit easier to see what is what if you shoot down several UFO's at once

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Geoscape feature requests
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »
1) For ufo yards, show which UFO's are stored there when you click on it to see details

Planned.

2) For workers or scientists (as they have no statistics) put there two buttons "Hire" / "Sack" that will hire/sack first free person so you don't have to move through the list.

Planned. They will be just numbers on equip screen.

3) For hangars, show image of the aircraft in it, so you'll better see how much of hangars are occupied without having to click on details

planned.

4) Ability to kill individual aliens in contanier. Now you can only kill all of them. Sometimes, when you capture a live specimen of type you have not encountered before, you may want to make a space, but not kill all aliens because of this

Good idea. I put it on the list.

5) For alien container, there are shown 10 cylinders with aliens. The cylinders could be varying (either dark, or glowing with green light) based on number of aliens stored without having to click on details.
6) Also, storage rooms could have perhaps three or five images ranging from empty shelves to rooms overflowing with many items based on used storage capacity.
7) The same with hospital - you could be able to see how many soldiers are there laying in beds.

We don't want more images per building. I think it doesn't worth. I could however imagine a base summary or at least capacity overlay that could be activated by clicking on a button OR pressing a key. I think that could do the same thing or more with using less resources.

8) For crashed UFO's of known type (when the type is shown before it is shot down), the text "Crashed Ufo ([place where it was shot down])" could include the type of the ufo - making it a bit easier to see what is what if you shoot down several UFO's at once

That right, it should work like that, probably we missed it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Keep on playing! Earth needs YOU!
(or I just watched too much starship troopers recently : ) )
-geever

Offline bilbo

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »
Also, I though of one more thing:

9) For aircraft interception, when choosing which craft to use to intercept, show distance from bases to ufo and/or estimated time  (which would be hard to estimate correctly, based on unknown intentions of the aircraft, but perhaps time needed to reach ufo's current position could be shown there as a crude estimate)

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:14:59 pm »
9) For aircraft interception, when choosing which craft to use to intercept, show distance from bases to ufo and/or estimated time  (which would be hard to estimate correctly, based on unknown intentions of the aircraft, but perhaps time needed to reach ufo's current position could be shown there as a crude estimate)

IIRC the game already calculates the optimum route for interception so it shouldn't be hard to calculate that distance or time.
Naturally if the target changes route suddenly, that calculated route will be wrong.

Offline CheeseshireCat

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »
IIRC the game already calculates the optimum route for interception so it shouldn't be hard to calculate that distance or time.
Naturally if the target changes route suddenly, that calculated route will be wrong.

It currently calculates quite odd routes for interception if the target is flying away from interceptor, listed in bugs (maybe fixed in 2.4).

On indicating whether some buildings are utilized. Maybe just pop stats on mouse-over?

Offline bilbo

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:46:10 pm »
10) Sometimes it happen, that I find myself out of ammo during mission - because I forgot to restock it. I think there should be option that will warn you, if you do not have enough stored ammo to replenish the suply for soldier, optimally telling how many pieces are missing (e.g. "Missing amo to rearm soldiers in aircraft Firebird 1: 1x Sniper rifle clip, 3x Machine gun clip").

11) Autobuy option: at end of mission, automatically buy ammo/grenades/... that was expended during the battle (or at least ammo of those types that is buyable)

12) Automanufacture option: similar option to autobuy - if ammo cannot be bought (autobuy failed), perhaps there could be another option to put it into workshop queue automatically.

13) Soldier armament profiles: If you replace soldiers in aircrafts (either replacing wounded soldier by unwounded one, or replacing solder by another, more skilled soldier), you have to rearm him again ... and again next time and again. Can be tedious if you replace wounded soldiers often .... It would be nice, if you could store state of the armament of a soldier under some name (for example, you will name it "Heavy soldier with flamethrower") and then you would be able to arm soldier with the same stuff (i.e. weapon, ammo, sidearm, ammo for sidearm, grenades and stuff like medkits, armor ....) by just selecting the armament profile (optionally with feature to automatically buy any stuff that is missing in the base, if possible). This would make easier also creation of new teams at new bases - you'll just pick 8 new soldiers, choose such profile for each of them (as you'll have probably several usable profiles created for yourself) and it will buy them any necessary weapons automatically.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:25 pm »
13) Soldier armament profiles: If you replace soldiers in aircrafts (either replacing wounded soldier by unwounded one, or replacing solder by another, more skilled soldier), you have to rearm him again ... and again next time and again. Can be tedious if you replace wounded soldiers often .... It would be nice, if you could store state of the armament of a soldier under some name (for example, you will name it "Heavy soldier with flamethrower") and then you would be able to arm soldier with the same stuff (i.e. weapon, ammo, sidearm, ammo for sidearm, grenades and stuff like medkits, armor ....) by just selecting the armament profile (optionally with feature to automatically buy any stuff that is missing in the base, if possible). This would make easier also creation of new teams at new bases - you'll just pick 8 new soldiers, choose such profile for each of them (as you'll have probably several usable profiles created for yourself) and it will buy them any necessary weapons automatically.

This is a planned feature in the form of equipment templates.