project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Win7 64-bit, 2.3.1: Crash on Mission Startup in Fullscreen-Mode  (Read 8800 times)

Offline MegaPower

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Win7 64-bit, 2.3.1: Crash on Mission Startup in Fullscreen-Mode
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
Hello Folks,

i got this machine on which I installed 2.3.1 yesterday.
So far I am impressed with the progress made since a much older version. Congrats!

there is reproducible bug though:
my screen is 16:9 - as standard ratio is nowadays - so the standard window of the game is cut off at the bottom. No thing, I just click full-screen in the video options menu, the game kinda restarts and I can edit my base, scroll around the world-view etc.
Until I click on "mission" (doesn't matter which one) everything's working fine. I click on mission, the mission is loading but a second after I get on the 3D-screen the game quits to desktop.

I'll update my Catalyst drivers to 10.12, I'll try playing in non-full-screen mode. maybe that helps me in short term.
just wanted to let you know about this crashes. is there anything you need from me? certain files etc?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:32:46 pm by MegaPower »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Win7 64-bit, 2.3.1: Crash on Mission Startup in Fullscreen-Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:35:50 pm »
Error message:

Code: [Select]
ERROR: Unknown model type in R_DrawEntities entity chain: 0

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »
just for reference, here is the alias for loading exactly the same map:
Code: [Select]
alias testmap "map day \"-tropic/tr_ +h01 +h02 +h03 +h04 +craft_drop_firebird +craft_ufo_harvester +h01 +f05 +f06 +h04 +f02 +p02 +f04\" \"-24 -24 0 -24 8 0 -24 -16 0 16 -24 0 -8 -24 0 -8 -8 0 -24 0 0 16 -16 0 -24 24 0 -8 24 0 -8 16 0 16 16 0 16 24 0\""
it loads fine here, but:

Q_vsnprintf: string (lade -tropic/tr_ +h01 +h02 +h03 ...) was truncated (113) - target buffer too small (96)
Q_vsnprintf: string (materials/tr_ +h01 +h02 +h03 +h0...) was truncated (114) - target buffer too small (64)

..but this is only due to not loading it the standard way - the info string for the mapname is cut, which is not bad in this situation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:02:05 pm by Mattn »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:41 pm »
My new laptop computer has almost the same exact video card in it, I haven't had any problems running any versions of UFO: AI on it, although one of the first things I did when I got it was to update all the drivers and other software components.

I noticed in the logs posted that the OpenGL version only went up to 2.(something).  Some of the other reported info in the logs also showed lower numbers than what I get when I run the game on my machine.

The latest ATI drivers, direct from AMD (NOT Windows update, and NOT the out-of-the-box drivers when I got the machine) run OpenGL up to 4.1.(something) - assuming I'm looking at the right numbers.

I have a feeling that this problem may disappear after updating to the latest drivers.  (Apologies if I'm confusing this with a different cause of the problem.)

Side Note:  I'm wondering if the Windows installer should include a very simple little test/reporting utility that will notify the end-user if they haven't gotten the proper drivers for their video card.  I've just seen so many Windows users who don't know that they need to update their video drivers, or they mistakenly get them from Windows update, or buy a new computer and run things without updating anything first.  Would it be too difficult for a simple little detection utility that can make a pop-up message come up, when installing the game, if old or inadequate OpenGL support is detected?

It would really cut down on people coming to this forum with issues, or complaining about poor performance, etc.

Offline MegaPower

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 02:21:09 pm »
yeah, the moment I change something in Video Options the game crashes at mission startup. Eg. I activate Vertex Buffer (for more performance supposedly) and the game QTD. I activate Weather effects and the game QTD. All in windowed mode, because full-screen doesn't work.
Ah, and I upgraded my AMD drivers already, as I stated in the initial posting. Not that it matters a lot, but I was curious to see those weather effects and improve performance a little bit..

Offline norabbit

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »
Yo,

I got the same problem and (unfortunately) just posted another report about this, but on the bugtracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3164351&group_id=157793&atid=805242

I have WinXP and not Win7, a different video card...
So there is little left in common in the way of hardware. CPU?
Anyways, I do not play fullscreen for now... Hope there is an easy way to fix this. ;)

A nice day to whoever reads this!

Offline norabbit

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 03:25:50 pm »
Yo,

I got the same problem and (unfortunately) just posted another report about this, but on the bugtracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3164351&group_id=157793&atid=805242

I have WinXP and not Win7, a different video card...
So there is little left in common in the way of hardware. CPU?
Anyways, I do not play fullscreen for now... Hope there is an easy way to fix this. ;)

A nice day to whoever reads this!

Hi guys,

Tih2000 was kind enough to provide the latest 2.4-dev installer in the bug report and it actually solved my crash problem. So maybe it will solve yours? Please note that it is an "in development" software, so it might be less stable than 2.3.1 (although I have not seen that many game-experience-impeding problem so far).
ciao!

http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ufoai-latest-win32.exe

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:37:11 pm »
Tih2000 was kind enough to provide the latest 2.4-dev installer in the bug report and it actually solved my crash problem. So maybe it will solve yours? Please note that it is an "in development" software, so it might be less stable than 2.3.1 (although I have not seen that many game-experience-impeding problem so far).
ciao!

http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ufoai-latest-win32.exe

Note that 2.4-dev and 2.3.x are not compatible. You need 2.4 data for it..

-geever

Offline pwhk

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:50 am »
I can confirm this, while in my case at mission startup it just hangs when it reads "awaiting game start", Windowed or Fullscreen is same. though it worked normally when I run the game with setting the compatibility mode to Win XP.

I am using Win 7 32bit, graphics card is nVidia GeForce G210M. I have never touched the driver though it should be getting drivers from Windows Update I think...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:52:38 am by pwhk »

Offline barbatrukko

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:50:45 pm »
Then some news for this problem?
some workaround?

best regards.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:52:22 pm by barbatrukko »