project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game does not start at all  (Read 21002 times)

Offline 7chp

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game does not start at all
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:23:56 am »
I used to play the original, like all the rest of you, and loved it.

I played the 2.2 and 2.2.1 (last time May 08) and wanted to play again, but of course I want to play the newest version. (2.2.1 still starts up and I can play the save games from back then)

After downloading 2.3.1 for Mac, I try to run it and nothing happens... I mean, the UFOAI.app file is there, but running it only generates an error message saying it quit unexpectedly...  :'(

I am on a MacBook Pro (4,1) bought April 1st 2008, MacOSX 10.5.8, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

But I know very little about compiling and stuff like this... I do believe I have the X11 running since on 10.5.8... I sorta miss the UFO:AI for dummies instruction manual...  :-\

Offline benwa1

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Game does not start at all
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:40 am »
I have the same Operating System version and im getting the very same error report. Someone help!

Offline argh2muchsecurity

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57:56 am »
It doesn't look like there is any help. Even the people with the command line skills seem to get the game to work but then face other crashes. It seems this game is just dead on MAC. I wish the devs would have just admitted that so I wouldn't have wasted 6 hours trying to get the game to work.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:51 am »
without log error or thing like that i dont think we can help a lot. Then maybe executing the game from the shell is a must to have some log error.

Offline incognito_uk

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 11:53:43 am »
2.3 actually worked but there was a problem with the sound and music, but you could at least play the game.

2.3.1 was supposed to fix that problem and a few other bugs but just fails completely  :(

Version 2.3 should still be available for download though.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 04:10:07 pm »
Guys, we really do have people here who are more than willing to help, but those of us who work on the Mac version need more information - specifically, the exact error messages given (if any), and logs, so that the Mac guys here can find out exactly where the issue is.

Simply saying little more than "I download the game and try to run it but it doesn't work" doesn't really help us debug or find out exactly what is broken.

This is like having a car towed to an auto repair shop and telling the mechanic "My car doesn't work - I can't drive it, please fix it."  The mechanic needs to know what
 isn't working. (Does the engine make a strange noise?  Does the steering feel wrong?  Does it not change gears?  Do warning lights come on?)

In the same way, we need some info to work with to trace the issue.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:14:02 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Twenty-four

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »
Hi

I have no idea of codes and compiling and such stuff, but is it that you are searching? In any case, that was the message I got when I tried to start it (nothing else, no black screen or a movie which stops or something like that, just this error-report).
By the way: 2.3 worked on my computer, this game is just great and thanks to anyone who is trying to fix it and to all those who made this game!

Process:         ufo [592]
Path:            /Applications/UFOAI/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo
Identifier:      net.sourceforge.UFOAI
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [112]

Date/Time:       2011-01-09 16:20:09.086 +0100
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          108310 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           2
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1
Anonymous UUID:                      0917D68A-BE31-4C83-BE13-B13B7BFCCA88

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/SDL_image.framework/Versions/A/SDL_image
  Referenced from: /Applications/UFOAI/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b  dyld 132.1 (???) <A4F6ADCC-6448-37B4-ED6C-ABB2CD06F448> /usr/lib/dyld

and after that, a lot of stuff about my computer which seems to be of no interest to you...  ;)

Offline joyboy

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:10 am »
Was about to post the exact same error message as Twenty-four did.

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/SDL_image.framework/Versions/A/SDL_image
  Referenced from: /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo
  Reason: image not found

...I did!

In any case, keep up the good work!

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:38:19 pm »
I had this same issue, but was able to semi-fix it (compiling from HEAD) by editing darwin.mk to remove -F/opt/local/Library/Frameworks from CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (lines 12 and 30) and add -I flags for the actual locations of the SDL framework headers under /Library/Frameworks; my guess is that it's being assumed that the SDL frameworks are being installed via macports, while mine are from the libdsl.org Mac installer.

I say semi-fix because it still doesn't work properly, possibly because my fix is incorrect (the app bundle built with make macinstaller is wrong about the locations of basically all of the frameworks it bundles and is thus effectively unlaunchable, while invoking the non-bundled binary from the command line launches but sits forever when the initial loading progress bar fills), but I've at least been able to make the error message in question disappear.

~J

Offline ashb

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:48:24 pm »
Assuming you copied the game to /Applications you need to do the following:.

- Go and download and mount/open the sdl 1.2 runtime dmg from http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
- Open a terminal and run the following:

install_name_tool -change /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/SDL_mixer.framework/Versions/A/SDL_mixer @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_mixer /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo
install_name_tool -change /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/SDL_image.framework/Versions/A/SDL_image @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_image.framework/Versions/A/SDL_image /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo
cp -r /Volumes/SDL/SDL.framework /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/Frameworks/

then it should work

Offline Hypopyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »
Hey there, I have also had trouble starting UFO:AI.  The first time it allowed me to start a game - I was then marveling at the 3D world when it crashed.  I forgot to save the error report from that time.  Since then, it hasn't started the game.  A window will flash for an instant on game start-up, but it'll instantly return to my desktop.

I tried the fix from ashb to no success.  I followed the instructions exactly, though I could be doing it wrong.

I'm attaching the recent error log from force quitting the application after waiting several minutes for the game to load.

Thank you for all your hard work!

Offline Rowanas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »
I was having the exact same problem, same logs and whatnot, so I tried the solution provided and... it doesn't work. Same errors. Meep :(

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »
The current development line (2.4-dev) got quite much Mac specific fix, I would try that.
You can download an installer from http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/

-geever

Offline Rowanas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »
Oooh. That's odd. I downloaded 2.4 (it still doesn't work), so I tried the fix and got some new behaviour, namely:

install_name_tool: object: /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo malformed object (unknown load command 4)

That's what I get immediately after pressing enter on the mixer line.

Alas, I do not know what this means, and google won't tell me.

Offline S3R3G4

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:01:22 am »
Hi all!

First of all thank you VERY MUCH to the developer for the effort to make such great game as UFO run on modern macs!

I tried to run version 2.4-dev on Macbook air, but I can only see the starting screen and then the game crashes. I attach the error report. Is there any way to solve the problem?

Thank you!