project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Invincible Aliens  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Taplow

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Invincible Aliens
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:41:20 am »
Hello!
I've been playing this for a week or two.
The game is great work, and thats the reason why i actually bother with a bug report.

The most annoying bug of all times looks like this:
The aliens sometimes become Chuck Norris, they take any amount of damage without getting killed.
I shot one of these from the adjacent square with a machinegun, full auto, 4 times and the green armored
alien simply kept running and killing my men.

So far i had this bug only 4 times, but in every case it happened after the enemy got hit by reaction fire.
In 3 cases it got fixed by simply waiting one turn, but not last time. I like challenges but this is perhaps too much :)

THanks in advance

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Invincible Aliens
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 12:55:36 am »
IIRC, there was a bug in 2.2.1 (and perhaps in 2.3.1, haven't attempted to verify) that an alien standing in the same square as a stunned entity was immune to damage.

Offline CheeseshireCat

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:25:08 am »
I had it happen with no stunned folks at all, trigger being either RF or point-blank shot. At least, aliens definitely were invincible to point-blank shots.

Offline Taplow

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:29:14 pm »
Hello again!
You were right. Its the stunned aliens they step over.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:31:00 am »
I had it happen with no stunned folks at all, trigger being either RF or point-blank shot. At least, aliens definitely were invincible to point-blank shots.

With what weapon?  The aliens essentially *do* become effectively immune to some of the weapons (like the submachine gun or the grenade launcher's flechette shells) if wearing medium armor.   

Even the machine gun, w/ a normal_medium dmgweight and a damage range of 36-54 per shot,  will only do 9-27 past medium armor, meaning that a 5-round burst (avg 90) isn't enough to guarantee a kill.  A laser rifle does 36-48 per hit if wave fire, 37-47 if pulse... but it's laser_medium dmgweight, so that turns into 10-22 (or 11-21) avg 16  per hit past medium armor.  An Ortnok has 150-190 hp normally, avg 170, so you're looking at 11 hits (4 pulse fires) w/ a laser rifle to kill a medium-armored one on average and potentially as many as 18 (maximally unlucky damage rolls for wave fire vs. max-health med-armored Ortnok).

Offline CheeseshireCat

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:27:01 pm »
Sniper rifle, micro-shotgun, machine pistol, machine gun and flechette grenades. All in one mission. And nope, the aliens (two) in question were Tamans without any armor. Actually, I only just saw my first non-Taman alien in this version (in 21 mission and 77 kills this run). And it was a single bloodspider. Well, not exactly. 21 mission and 77 kills is two mission later, with me still looking at research proposal -- Alien Autopsy - Bloodspider, listed under "Unresearchable collected items", wondering whether I should kill off the thing I grabbed alive or not -- as I seem to have to wait that much again until I see another :)

Offline plenty

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:09 pm »
I had a similar problem - I can't shoot over a stunned alien, all bullets/beams hit the place he sleeps, as if there was an obstacle there - but you can walk trough, it is blocking only the projectiles.