project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Storyline idea!  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Storyline idea!
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:20:01 am »
For the becinning i am not a good storyteller! And only thing i can provide here is a general direction or idea of a possible storyline. My idea after reading Winter`s storyline is to loose the allpowerful hivemind and stick to the more typical evil invading aliens. This way the aliens could be autonomous beings like humans. Also this would allow PHALANX to recruit aliens who stand against opression of theyr own species (and other ones as well) which would make good wariability for your troops. One idea would be that on alien hierachy lesser species (shevaar, ortnok) are subjucated wia neural interface (AKA hivemind  ;D )to the command of tamans as the arguably most intelligent of the species. But the point is that hivemind is a bit of a clishe...

PS: Yes i am a bit sleepy and may hawe written something stubit but the basic point is that hivemind could be replaced with autonomous aliens (tamans) and semi autonomous aliens (the other losers). Point of attacking earth could be...    ...well...     ...umm...             ...it would be a gicantic clishe to say "to enslave humanity"...       ...well lets hope someone figures something out!

Im off to sleep! CYA!

Offline NicAdi

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Storyline idea!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »
[...]<1> My idea after reading Winter`s storyline is to loose the allpowerful hivemind and stick to the more typical evil invading aliens. [...] <2> Also this would allow PHALANX to recruit aliens who stand against opression of theyr own species (and other ones as well) [...]
<3> Point of attacking earth could be...    ...well...     ...umm...             ...it would be a gicantic clishe to say "to enslave humanity"... [...]
<1> Similar ideas – of taking the "all-powerful alien menace" a few notches down, or even drop it completely and just stick with the plain ol' alien invading force – have been suggested before, by several individuals. However, the writers have chosen to ignore them altogether and keep the current storyline "as is". It has become pointless to argue this any further; they simply won't listen to reason.
<2> That, although not an entirely new idea, would be an interesting game element. I would love to be able to play alien characters as well (maybe even have some story tidbits about their interaction with the human counterparts).
<3> Hmm... That is a tough cookie to crack, indeed... I do agree the "enslavement of all mankind" is quite the cliche, but no more than almost all other plot points pertaining to alien invasions. Still, the challenge remains: Can we do better than that?

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »
<3> Hmm... That is a tough cookie to crack, indeed... I do agree the "enslavement of all mankind" is quite the cliche, but no more than almost all other plot points pertaining to alien invasions. Still, the challenge remains: Can we do better than that?

This is the main reason that I think including some kind of parasitic side to the aliens is a good thing. It gives them an actual reason not to go completely overboard with their invasion plans, since they need us (or at least our bodies) alive, not in states that either resemble Swiss cheese, a pile of ash or a bunch of gibs.
For the actual invasion reason, the good old 'hive mind needs more bodies' works well enough. We might be able to do better but unless there would be a clear representation of it in the game (alien diplomacy?), I think it would just come about as an excuse for the war ('casus belli' being the technical term IIRC).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:49:53 pm by Hertzila »

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:11:10 am »
Well now i am a bit more sober... after reading this shit i wrote, i thought: The aliens fighting for PHALANX is the only good idea on this! How about: You could research anti alien XVI virii. To cure some aliens you have on your containment. After a few weeks training on earth ways, They would be good to go to aid you on missions for example: Tamans could be good at the upcoming psionics, ortnocs would be poor at that but strong in physical strenght and shevaars would be the fast bastards with IR vision, sure the cured aliens wouldn`t really symphatise the XVI that has enslaved theyr kind. Though aliens on your squad would hawe a negative moral impact for your human troops on the field, also civs would propably freack out when aliens are coming from the harvester AND PHALANX landing craft.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:22 am »
Though aliens on your squad would hawe a negative moral impact for your human troops on the field, also civs would propably freack out when aliens are coming from the harvester AND PHALANX landing craft.

I don't think they would cause a very big morale drop for your own troops but you are right that the civilians would not like to see aliens in PHALANX body armor. I think they should/would regard those aliens as enemies too and run from them. (Possibly and sadly towards your human agents as if they would like to shout into their ears "WTF is going on here!?")

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:03:59 pm »
The thing is, an anti XVI drug's effect on aliens would be a very strong plot element, please dont leave it out.