project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Door opening direction  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Frogs Friend

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Door opening direction
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:26:09 pm »
I've been having a go at some map making and can't get the 'direction/angle' setting to work on a door.

I have two independant doors in a wall leading to ladies & gents toilets, one of which should open into the room, swinging to the left (hinge anti-clockwise), that works ok. The other should open into the room, swinging to the right (hinge clockwise), and that one I can't get working right. No matter what number I put in the direction/angle value 0, 90, 180, 270 (and -ve values), they both hinge open anti-clockwise.

Am I missing something here or do all doors have to swing the same way ( :o )

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

btw Love the game so far. I spent many happy hours with the original Xcom and this is everything I enjoyed, and more. Great work guys  ;D

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Door opening direction
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »
I think it's dependent on the location of the origin brush. Have you moved that to the proper hinge? To be honest I've never done a door, but I know Kildor has.

Feel free to zip up your map and attach it here and we'll take a look for you.

Great to see someone else jumping into the mapping!

Offline Frogs Friend

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I've moved the origin across to the other side, but still no luck. Here's the map to have a look at:

Office.zip

The two toilets are in the centre of the building. The left door (ladies) opens correctly, the right-hand door (gents) opens out instead of in.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »
please tell me where exactly you have problems with and i will extend the wiki article about door.

the angle key for the func_door is afaik not fully implemented, it always opens in the same direction. but if you need this feature, i will look into it

and yes, as H-Hour said, great to see someone else starting with mapping, too

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »
The two toilets are in the centre of the building. The left door (ladies) opens correctly, the right-hand door (gents) opens out instead of in.

yes - that's how it is currently implemented - i will add this to my todo list (it's already prepared)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:16:54 pm »
just added a bug for this to our tracker

Offline Frogs Friend

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:17:55 pm »
Thanks for the info, I'll not worry about it for now. For any doors I add before that update I'll just position them better so that they don't overlap each other (i.e. opening one door blocks another alongside).

Strangely, as it's my first try with the editor, the office is a reasonably accurate copy of a building I used to work in and in that building both toilet doors opened outward. Perfect for breaking the nose of somebody coming out of the office alongside. I don't think the architects really thought it through  ;D