project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some real bad lag  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Shaun_Reapswaal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Some real bad lag
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:03:59 am »
Sup guys. I tried v2.3 in 5 different computers (all 32 bit laptops with Windows 7 professional) . And it lags like hell in all of them after you start playing. I'm getting an fps of around 1.2. I also noticed that the game has different sizes on sourceforge and the ufoai official website. It is 521 on the website and 547 on sourceforge, I think. Why this much of difference?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Some real bad lag
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:12 am »
Why this much of difference?
There is only 1 source of the game, it is Sourceforge, then the size difference only come from a typo.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:23:47 am »
which gfx card are you using in those machines? are you sure that you are not using the microsoft drivers?

Offline Muton

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:10:10 am »
disabling gls shaders will rise fps to 45
if you are using onboard gfx or low end gfx card

Offline Shaun_Reapswaal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:39:49 am »
You're right Muton. It worked. Once I turned the GLSL shading off. It was a smoothie runnnig at around 45 fps. However. The graphics of the game are better since v2.1. And the interface is changed a bit and new music was added. That's really good. But I don't understand how a some of GLSL shading can throw my refresh rate from 45 to 1?! There must be some programmer error here. And even with all the GLSL, it's not like the graphics are awesome or something... Maybe we wanna work on code optimization here before moving forward.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:16 am »
But I don't understand how a some of GLSL shading can throw my refresh rate [...] There must be some programmer error here.
Again, lag or optimisation is not an "error". GLSL program speed depend on your graphic card, and your opengl driver. Maybe we can improve it for "slower platform", but i dont see how you can talk about "error".

Maybe we wanna work on code optimization here before moving forward.
We can improve many things in many ways at the same time.

Offline Shaun_Reapswaal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:38:15 pm »
Again, lag or optimisation is not an "error". GLSL program speed depend on your graphic card, and your opengl driver. Maybe we can improve it for "slower platform", but i dont see how you can talk about "error".
We can improve many things in many ways at the same time.

Dude I put this post in this section, because there is no other more relevant thread there is. And it IS an error that you can't play shit with GLSL rendering switched on. It can't possibly take THAT long! O_O I mean I play prototype on this laptop. Just because it's not a compile error doesn't mean it ain't a bug dude. No offence of any kind if that sounded offending :)

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »
I dont play with shaders

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:00:04 am »
Dude I put this post in this section, because there is no other more relevant thread there is. And it IS an error that you can't play shit with GLSL rendering switched on. It can't possibly take THAT long! O_O I mean I play prototype on this laptop. Just because it's not a compile error doesn't mean it ain't a bug dude. No offence of any kind if that sounded offending :)

Error but not in our game but on your videocard's or it's driver's manufacturer's side. Leave us alone with it!
And yes it sounded offending!

-geever

Offline Shaun_Reapswaal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »
Error but not in our game but on your videocard's or it's driver's manufacturer's side. Leave us alone with it!
And yes it sounded offending!

-geever
of these laptops...
Dude are you 12? Do you what a graphics card does? Or are you confusing it with a sound card? I don't know about "offending" but it pisses me off to no end to see someone who won't acknowledge that I've tried this game on 5 different latptops with the two most conventionally used graphics card manufacturers at the present time. Ever heard about Nvidia? Or maybe ATI? Oh and btw I played a gmae called "Prototype" on 4 out of 5 of these laptops that apparently runs prototype at 25-40 fps, but it runs UFO: AI at 1.2 fps. Despite all that, it's an error on all those laptops and the graphics cards manufacturers right? And you want me to "leave you alone with it"? One lst question WHO THE HELL IS GONNA FIX THIS IF NOT THE DEV TEAM? the FANS?!

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:46:42 pm »
of these laptops...
Dude are you 12? Do you what a graphics card does? Or are you confusing it with a sound card? I don't know about "offending" but it pisses me off to no end to see someone who won't acknowledge that I've tried this game on 5 different latptops with the two most conventionally used graphics card manufacturers at the present time. Ever heard about Nvidia? Or maybe ATI? Oh and btw I played a gmae called "Prototype" on 4 out of 5 of these laptops that apparently runs prototype at 25-40 fps, but it runs UFO: AI at 1.2 fps. Despite all that, it's an error on all those laptops and the graphics cards manufacturers right? And you want me to "leave you alone with it"? One lst question WHO THE HELL IS GONNA FIX THIS IF NOT THE DEV TEAM? the FANS?!

Don't rage, it looks bad on these forums.

Secondly, are you sure those are not 5 laptops with the exactly the same GPU? Or whether or not Prototype uses GLSL shaders? Or that maybe laptop GPUs simply aren't desgined with OpenGL in mind but instead DirectX, which is more popular in Windows laptops.

Thirdly, on what settings, exactly, does it run Prototype? UFO:AI might be an open-source game but that doesn't translate to low requirements. GLSL shaders most likely are medium or above requirement.
Besides, at least it runs 45 fps without them.

For your last question, YES, THE FANS ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK ON THIS PROJECT! IT'S OPEN-SOURCE WITH OPEN DEVELOPEMENT! THEY DON'T HAVE TO BUT IT'S THE RECOMMENDED COURCE OF ACTION IF THEY WANT QUICK FIXES AND PROGRESS! (Sorry about the caps, really. I hate it as much as you do.)

Ps. Having one game work doesn't translate to every game with comparable hardware requirements working. I had a PC which could run Crysis on high without problems but for some reason didn't work with STALKERs until some fanpatching was done.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »
you didn't answer my question yet, so i ask again, are you sure you are not using the microsoft opengl drivers? microsoft only delivers opengl 1.1 with windows xp and opengl 1.4 with windows 7. if the other games that are running fine are using directx as rendering backend, you would not notice any performance hit. please make sure the latest vendor drivers are installed.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:44:07 pm »
After a quick glance at a few system spec requirements for the commercial game Prototype (thank you Google), it looks like Prototype requires and uses DirectX, and is available for Microsoft-based Windows PCs and X-Box.  I'm guessing that the software was built and compiled with Microsoft libraries/compilers/programming tools and such.

I'm not an expert programmer yet, but I'll do my best to explain this as best I can from what I've gathered over the years (Mattn correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points):

Many "off-the-shelf" PCs from stores are built and rigged for such commercial software, but in my experience not for GNU-based free software or open-source programs like UFO: AI.  The Windows port of UFO: AI is built with MinGW, which is a very different beast than any Microsoft compiler.

IIRC DirectX is a "Microsoft-thing" while OpenGL isn't, but is an open standard.

That doesn't mean that you can't run stuff built with MinGW or open standards on new computers efficiently, it simply means you need drivers that support such software.

Windows Update does *not* typically provide drivers with such support.  Fortunately, some hardware manufacturers provide drivers that do support things like OpenGL and such.

This means, as an example, that if you have an NVIDIA video card and want to run an OpenGL-based program, you should not update the driver with Windows Update, but instead download a new driver from NVIDIA's website, directly.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »
Side note
1) MinGW have nothing to do with OpenGL. You can use DirectX API and compile your software with MinGW; you can use OpenGL and compile your software with MSVC. There is no compilation relative problem here.
2) OpenGL driver is always provided embedded with Windows manufacturer drivers, cause it is a must have to use professional software (Maya, 3DS, Blender, SolidWorks, Catia, ProEngeneer).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:12:28 pm by bayo »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:26:23 pm »
2) OpenGL driver is always provided embedded with Windows manufacturer drivers, cause it is a must have to use professional software (Maya, 3DS, Blender, SolidWorks, Catia, ProEngeneer).

as i've said - version 1.1 and 1.4 - and very bad quality as m$ is not interested in opengl - they have directX