project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: randomspawn  (Read 4381 times)

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
randomspawn
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:37:22 pm »
Hi all

I played around with the randomspawn option. These are the first test results, no warranty.

1. randomspawn is assigned at the worldspawn entity. it requires a number as value, also I was not able to understand what that value represents. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.
2. If in uforadiant you import a NONrandomspawn map into a randonspawn map, all will become randomspawn
3. An RMA map only of randomspawn tiles (no other tiles) works ok
4. an RMA map of randomspawn tiles and NONrandomspawn tiles with spawnpoints results in a NONrandom placement of actors.
5. an RMA map of randomspawn tiles and NONrandomspawn tiles without spawnpoints (generic terrain) results in a random placement of actors.

tilli

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: randomspawn
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »
5. an RMA map of randomspawn tiles and NONrandomspawn tiles without spawnpoints (generic terrain) results in a random placement of actors.

Good to know, thanks. Feel free to sign up on the wiki and edit relevant pages when you find useful information that isn't already there.

As for the value, I believe it's a boolean. 1 = on, 0 = off. But mattn will correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:39 am »
you are right nate - i've extended the entities.ufo - if you have better descriptions for the entities or the properties - please update the entities.ufo file and send patches.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:35:16 pm »
hi

ok, I'm reworking the +forest tiles (there are only 56 of them).
I have to make a correction to
I found out that it is best, if ALL tiles have the randomspawn flag set. generic non spawnpoint tiles can
function without problem, but I also found tiles which do cause problems. Once all were randomspawn flagged, however the problems mostly disappeared.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »
Are you sure there are 56? I've only got 31 in my checkout. Or have you created 25 new tiles?

What are the changes you're making? Are you just randomizing the spawn locations more or are you making more significant changes?

If you're going to rework some of the forest tiles, I'd rather you consolidated to fewer tiles rather than just create more. Maintaining 56 tiles is going to be a pain if we ever need to do something like change lighting or change a common texture.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:25:38 am »
Are you sure there are 56? I've only got 31 in my checkout. Or have you created 25 new tiles?
Yup, 23 forest tiles and 3 houses, but not all forest tiles will survive to the final version.

What are the changes you're making? Are you just randomizing the spawn locations more or are you making more significant changes?
I did not alter the old tiles, except for two things a) randomspawn flag b) sometimes adding an alien spawnpoint.

tilli

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:00:44 pm »
just an update

randomspawn works without problem on the +forest maps (both skirmish and campaign) on my end. Makes a big difference when the enemy could be behind you (or the next tree).
But aesthetically some of the tiles could be improved. So I'm working on that currently and cleaning up in the process.

on the pictures: Why wait at the (anyway heavy damaged) ufo, the aliens are waiting for the phalanx troopers in ambush.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:12:15 pm »
Sounds good. I like the increased use of rocks as well. Prevents it from being an all-out snipe fest, but the player can still hide and snipe if he wants.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »
imo this kind of map should make use of the terrain feature of the material system and should not use an even brush as ground plate - but triangle brushes (like e.g. in the lake maps. this increases the brushcount, yes - but a) it looks better, and b) won't allow to throw a grenade over the whole map, because the ground is a little bit uneven here and there.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 09:15:36 pm »
terrain feature of the material system
good idea, just incorporated it
because the ground is a little bit uneven here and there.
unfortunately, the pictures didn't show it to well, but the terrain is already a little uneven
but I think I will increase it some more. But I think the main obstacles should be trees and other green stuff, so I'm also adding them lavishly.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 08:58:58 am »
i was referring to the lake_ice*.map

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:00 am »
see the attached screenshot of uforadiant. this is lake_ice.map showing some triangular brushes, this mapping technique has the advantage, that you can easily shift the middle vertices of the selected brushes to rise the height and make the terrain uneven with a few clicks. (mapping with triangles has a lot of advantages which you might see once you got the hang of it - if you are not already using it....)