project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien language -- one for all you geeks  (Read 3798 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Alien language -- one for all you geeks
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:54:56 pm »
Does anyone have any objections if I use the attached image as the general style for an "alien alphabet"? It would be used in the alien base map, maybe in screens on UFOs, etc., if I ever get around to it. I just want some symbols I can throw up on things and came up with this real quick.

Am I stepping on any known sci-fi cliches I should avoid?

Offline morse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Alien language -- one for all you geeks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:06:28 pm »
Am I stepping on any known sci-fi cliches I should avoid?

Hardly. Most of the people won't be surprised even if all alien captions would be in english, so they don't pay much attention to what alphabet it's written in.
On the other hand, if you want this to be "hard scifi", you should thing about poor aliens who will be forced to read these symbols. I mean, before making pictograms just as creepy as possible, remember that their main purposes is to be distinguishable from each other and to be easy to draw by hand (or whatever limbs these aliens have).
We, of cause, have some hard-to-draw alphabets ourself (chinese for example), but the most common is a way more simple latin. And if at some point our spaceships will fly into space to conquer other planets, it's captions will be undoubtedly in latin.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »
I'm not sure if this link will be of any use but here goes.

Also, this might not have anything to do with the designs but remember that they should be readable in the infrared spectrum too since one of the aliens use it.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:37:11 pm »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:28:15 am »
H-Hour,
that looks really cool.
I also remember that the Ultima-series invented it's own 'ancient' writing which you could decipher with a little practice. And it was *fun* :)

On the other hand:
- will aliens use an alphabet ? Maybe.
- does radiant support text on eg. signs ?? I don't think so. Only bitmap.
- would aliens with a hive mind need writings at all ? I mean the hive mind could tell them which door leads to the storage room and which to the toilet...
Maybe writings could be useful to *unburden* the hivemind...

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:12:15 am »
Go for the extreme! Ever read the Heechee Trilogy? One of the best sci fi book series. There the aliens had a UI of ships which were a mix of colors and geometric shapes whose colors changed with certain angles.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 11:00:42 am »
Have you seen this? http://ufoai.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ufoai/ufoai;a=blob;f=base/pics/techs/alien_communication.jpg;h=2547ef24a7a5993d830e24e50707f891539004ec;hb=HEAD

Oh yeah, thanks. I'll make some in those general shapes and then what I've got is just a kind of "font" rendering of the shapes.

I also remember that the Ultima-series invented it's own 'ancient' writing which you could decipher with a little practice. And it was *fun* :)

Hehe, well I'm not going to get that fancy with it.

- would aliens with a hive mind need writings at all ? I mean the hive mind could tell them which door leads to the storage room and which to the toilet...

A hive mind might be able to tell itself where it placed this or that object, but it still needs some kind of interface to communicate with the machines it builds.

Offline PurpleCaterpillar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:49:35 pm »
... I can throw up on things and ...

I just don't understand - Why would you want to throw up on things..?
Maybe it's just me, not being a native English speaker and all...
 :P