project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: oss terminology and rc-missunderstandigs  (Read 4498 times)

Elbenfreund

oss terminology and rc-missunderstandigs
« on: September 17, 2006, 01:35:09 pm »
As we have seen in some other thread, especially user not used to dev-processes and oss terms get easily confused about the fakt that the release candidate isn't the release. I could immage that even people more charming than this "this game sucks guy" get at leaatst frustrated and get a bad picture about the game, simply because their expectations are to high. As it looks like there will be at leas  two? more RC before ufo:ai even plays as a "single "player game (that is story, ufopedia, all those little things that get the player involved) it might be usefull to underline the -still testing and improving/ NOT final - state- more clearly or not using the therm RC that inflationary (which is too late now i guess).
Anyway, just my 2c, hope i didnt pissed anyone: Eric.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 10:01:52 pm »
Another option is to say this will be version 2.0 of the technical demo, just as version 1 was a technical demo, not a complete game. Either way, I think already starting screen and file name should clearly indicate this is work in progress.

Sacrusha

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:46:33 am »
Call it beta, everyone knows what that means.

vorticone

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:09:13 pm »
This is beta already? I thought we are still in alpha.  :lol:

Sacrusha

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 10:49:53 pm »
At least if you have to optimize both, how the term fits to the current state and how the interpretation of the term by an average visitor fits to the current state, beta is best.

Most people interpret beta as "playable yet unfinished". Any term they do not know they might ignore, or it might make them fear that the game will mess up with their whole windows installation.

I'm not here as often as I used to be, but I do definitely notice there's a thread every now and then where someone states that the game is ** (not knowing that it is not even close to a final), and then some people take fun out of flaming them. Something should be done, either against the people who don't notice the game isn't done yet (by making it more obvious, as suggested by the op), or at least against the flamers.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 01:53:40 am »
I'm afraid if we name the release 2.0beta people will expect 2.0final as the next step and they will expect it soon...

Of course (knowing that 2.0beta will never be touched again and 2.1 will be the next one) this is a nice joke. ;>

HighXplosive

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 03:26:16 am »
Bandobras for presie!!!1111

Yeah that's pretty much what I said and support in the other thread (I'm posting regarding to the first post after the topic post).

Sacrusha

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 11:50:49 am »
Beta 'number' implies that there will be more than one.  Of course Tech Demo 2 RC4, will do too, if there's a definition of 'Tech Demo' somewhere on the page, or within the game.