project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Armor weights  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Armor weights
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »
About the weight of nanocomposite: it weighs 120kg? In research mail it was written that carbon nanotube things weigh less than any other material (about 100 times, like instead of 120kg, it should weigh 1.2kg). Besides, it conducts electricity, and about that, i have an idea (quite frequently heard one): a lightsaber. So if you've watched sci-fi science show, you'd know.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Armor weights
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:14 pm »
About the weight of nanocomposite: it weighs 120kg? In research mail it was written that carbon nanotube things weigh less than any other material (about 100 times, like instead of 120kg, it should weigh 1.2kg).

CNTs are many times stronger than anything else, slightly edging ahead of diamonds in most qualities, however, I really doubt they would be much less dense than normal graphite or carbon. And if you soldiers can handle huge weight (it has a powered exoskeleton) then why sacrifise protection for less weight? (And anyway I think that's just an internal quality for a script/line of code somewhere and has some (this many units equal approx. that many real units) or no relation to actual units like kilograms and pounds.)

Besides, it conducts electricity, and about that, i have an idea (quite frequently heard one): a lightsaber. So if you've watched sci-fi science show, you'd know.

And how the heck would you do that? Sure you might get a cattle prod cubed (like I think the stun baton already is) but how exactly would make it cut everything?
I'll stay with the kerrs and monoknives, thank you very much.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Armor weights
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »
About the weight of nanocomposite: it weighs 120kg? In research mail it was written that carbon nanotube things weigh less than any other material (about 100 times, like instead of 120kg, it should weigh 1.2kg).
CNTs are many times stronger than anything else, slightly edging ahead of diamonds in most qualities, however, I really doubt they would be much less dense than normal graphite or carbon. And if you soldiers can handle huge weight (it has a powered exoskeleton) then why sacrifise protection for less weight? (And anyway I think that's just an internal quality for a script/line of code somewhere and has some (this many units equal approx. that many real units) or no relation to actual units like kilograms and pounds.)
Actually those lines I mentioned are commented out (as that part hasn't been implemented yet), I was asking if they had a meaning relative to real units of some kind or are only arbitrary to show the weight relative to each other

Edit: BTW if those are real unit they should be pounds 100kg for combat armour (wich dosn't have exoskeleton) is way too much
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:55:12 am by DarkRain »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Armor weights
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:29 am »
Hi guys, I split these posts off the artwork thread because I want to keep that thread focused on origin's models. But feel free to continue the discussion here. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 06:29:37 pm »
Edit: BTW if those are real unit they should be pounds 100kg for combat armour (wich dosn't have exoskeleton) is way too much

Agreed, though even in pounds that would be too much for a simple armour (unless it has incredibly thick kevlar plates/layers). 45kg is just about the weight of the whole kit used by the rapid deployment forces.

Hi guys, I split these posts off the artwork thread because I want to keep that thread focused on origin's models. But feel free to continue the discussion here. Sorry for any confusion.

No confusion here.
Or... Wait a minute, why is the world spinning with everything in inverted colours  ???. [/joke]

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:13 am »
Agreed, though even in pounds that would be too much for a simple armour (unless it has incredibly thick kevlar plates/layers). 45kg is just about the weight of the whole kit used by the rapid deployment forces.
That's right, I went on reading about the topic and it seems that the whole equipment of modern infantry soldiers will average around 80 - 120 pounds (36 - 55kg) depending on mission, and that's carrying water, food, camping equipment, spare boots, possibly a radio and even spare ammo for the mortar or machinegun teams to be dropped when moving into positions.

Maybe ounces then? Not likely as the UFOpaedia states it is heavier than older suites so I'm thinking those are purely arbitrary values.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:12 am »
This feature is not implemented yet at all.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:57:18 am »
I know, I asked (originally in the artwork board) cause I thought it would be nice to have a figure...

But discusing it has given me the urge to have a look at it myself

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:52:56 am »
Just to let you know that I've taken a shot at this in this topic I'd apreciate your comments