project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Turn and look  (Read 4273 times)

kungfujoe

Turn and look
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:44:34 am »
Is there any way to make my PHALANX soldiers turn without moving?  It's not uncommon for me to have a soldier walk in some direction and see no alien.  As soon as I tell him to go in another direction (i.e. at a right angle), he turns and sees an alien - if he had been paying attention instead of just looking straight ahead, he'd have seen the alien before.  So I guess my request is twofold:

1 - Make PHALANX soldiers see aliens that aren't directly in their line of sight.  Surely they have peripheral vision?  At the VERY least, they should be able to see 60 degrees or so in each direction.  Realistically, a person (without something obstructing his view, i.e. a helmet) should be able to detect movement from up to (and even slightly beyond) 90 degrees in each direction.

2 - Let me turn my soldier without moving him.  This could either be a freebie move, or cost one TU.  It shouldn't come at a significant penalty, though.

Linzer

Turn and look
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:16:30 am »
The "turn around" thing is already implemented - have you tried middle-clicking? I do agree on the peripheral vision, though.

kungfujoe

Turn and look
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:54 pm »
Quote from: "Linzer"
The "turn around" thing is already implemented - have you tried middle-clicking? I do agree on the peripheral vision, though.
Thanks for the tip on middle-clicking.  I hadn't tried that.  I tried everything else I could think of (arrow keys, left/right bracket keys, <> keys, etc).

QuailLover

Turn and look
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:05:04 am »
have the mouse over which direction you want them to face and push the control button.

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Turn and look
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:47:19 pm »
Personally, I only use the CTRL (or STRG for the germans) key.

Mephisto

Turn and look
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:44:51 pm »
is the right mouse button used for anything else? Why not use this for turning (as in original UFO, AFAIR)

ubequitz

Turn and look
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 06:22:33 pm »
Quote from: "Mephisto"
is the right mouse button used for anything else? Why not use this for turning (as in original UFO, AFAIR)

Although not well documented, the right mouse button can be used to get back to "move" mode if you are in a firing mode (which can be handy at times).

v29a

Turn and look
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:26:39 am »
we could maybe change right and middle mouse button ... ive never seen a thread here from someone who couldnt find the switch between move and fire mode ;-)

HaJo

Turn and look
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 02:28:39 pm »
Quote from: "v29a"
we could maybe change right and middle mouse button

To change key+mouse-bindings, edit base/keys.cfg:
Code: [Select]
bind MOUSE1 "+select"
bind MOUSE2 "+action"
bind MOUSE3 "+turn"
bind CTRL "+turn"

MOUSE1 and MOUSE2 are the left and right mousebutton,
MOUSE3 is the middle button.

Mephisto

Turn and look
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:15 pm »
Quote from: "v29a"
we could maybe change right and middle mouse button ... ive never seen a thread here from someone who couldnt find the switch between move and fire mode ;-)

couldn't the rmb be used for stwitching to move from fire-mode and for turning if in move-mode?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Turn and look
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 11:36:36 pm »
It's used for turning also when firing and it's useful, indeed.