project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Harvest equipment/weapons in mission  (Read 6584 times)

kungfujoe

Harvest equipment/weapons in mission
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:35:01 am »
I'm using RC4 in WinXP.

Is there any reason that I don't automatically get all of the loot dropped by aliens at the end of the mission?  Picking things up from the battlefield uses an insane number of TU's (IMHO), and the soldiers' inventories are too small for me to have to manually pick everything up (besides, the mission ends when the last alien is killed, and the logical thing to do is hunt the bad guys and THEN take their stuff).

I definitely vote that in a future build, anything dropped by the aliens gets taken home by my soldiers on the dropship.  That appears not to be the case currently (I picked up a few plasma pistols, and they ended up in my inventory when I returned, though I couldn't see them in the equipment screen, presumably because they haven't been researched.  The only other alien items were those that are available for purchase, telling me that my soldiers didn't loot the battlefield).

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 09:15:54 am »
Everything left on the battlefiels is auto-looted and auto-sold.

kungfujoe

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:12 pm »
Quote from: "Bandobras"
Everything left on the battlefiels is auto-looted and auto-sold.
Is it auto-sold for the same price I could buy it back for?  Or do I take a loss if I buy it back?  If there's no loss, this seems like a fine solution (though it'd be nice if there was something on the end-mission screen to indicate "amount of equipment found and sold" or something).

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:35:31 am »
No loss. Yes, an after-mission menu would be very fine. Could you perhaps sketch one, script one and code one (with the last step people will surely help)?

kungfujoe

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:45:09 am »
Quote from: "Bandobras"
No loss. Yes, an after-mission menu would be very fine. Could you perhaps sketch one, script one and code one (with the last step people will surely help)?
My scripting skills (aside from HTML/CSS) are limited to pretty basic CShell (and I do that rarely enough that I generally need to do it with a reference book in hand). :)

Merion

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:02:32 pm »
First of all: I can't code at all - so don't waste your time trying to recruit me ;-)

But the idea of a notification is a good one. Took me quite a while to find out about the auto-selling.
If you don't want an extra screen, where all the looted and sold euqipment is listed - which isnt necessary imho - why don't you just include it in the mission summary screen?
Something along the line of:
Items collected and sold - 16
Resulting Profit - 21500$

Couldn't be too much of a hassle to implement, cause the profits calculated anyway and no additional graphics are needed. Or am I wrong?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:40:34 pm »
Brilliant. Anybody?

kable

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 05:48:57 pm »
I've had a go.  It's working nicely, I simply changed the signature on the CL_CollectItems method to include the number of items and a calculation of the difference in total credits before and after sale to reach the sale value.

Here's the diff and changed files (diff is against latest SVN as of time of posting):

http://darkwax.co.uk/kable/ufoai/summary_update.zip

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:24:01 am »
I've broken all rules and merged this patch to RC5 branch. I'm not sure though, if it will make it for RC5. Soon the display will became a separate menu, most probably, so it's the last chance to use this patch in a release and see how we like such display...

Zako

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 03:52:12 pm »
I think it should say "weapons salvaged" and not "weapons looted". I just think it sounds better. Loot sounds so MMORPG :P

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 07:25:23 pm »
Done.

boerhave

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 06:19:02 pm »
"alien artifacts retrieved"
"alien artifacts salvaged"