project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: production much much slower than research  (Read 3623 times)

Offline wcanyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
production much much slower than research
« on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:03 pm »
It seems like when I play UFOAI my research teams are way way ahead of my production teams. Despite them being about equal in number. It seems like it took a team of 20 mechanics several months to build 10 Aerial Lasers. This seems a little unbalanced. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:29:11 pm by wcanyon »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: production much much slower than research
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:25:28 am »
What do you think would be a 'good' balance in respect to research/production ?
And Why ?

Offline Aleks

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:32:30 am »
Production is so slow, that, in fact, i manufacture a couple of needed things and then sell them. A week later they appear in large numbers on the market(doesn't work for armour, though).

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:37:01 pm »

Production is so slow, that, in fact, i manufacture a couple of needed things and then sell them. A week later they appear in large numbers on the market(doesn't work for armour, though).

Lol. Does it really work this way? There must be some routine that reproduces anything that is once out on the public market eh?

Offline Aleks

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:55:32 pm »
It definitely worked with laser rifles, electromagnetic rifles, ammo for both and stun rods. I don't really need to produce anything else, with exception for armor, because i get loads of plasma stuff from aliens.
Though, maybe the game simply starts to produce things some time after they were researched.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:01:24 am by Aleks »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:17:23 am »
Yes, it works that way. You kinda produce a 'prototype' and then the market jumps in. Afaik you don't even have to sell the produced item.
Sorry, I don't know the exact mechanics.

@BTAxis:
Was that an explicit design decision ? Is it explained somewhere ingame ? Covered by the story ?

Offline TDarklighter

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:11:24 am »
Research goes faster than the production for me as well, at least until I tweaked the code to my liking.  Human technologies I can now produce faster than alien ones(makes sense, being native to Earth), while disassembling UFOs takes much less time than it used to.  Four or five days as opposed to two weeks with 80 workers is a little better - I know we're trying to be realistic about this, but is it not easier to destroy than create?

The good balance should be where your research lasts long enough to keep it worth it to have scientists and laboratories.  You'll always want to have workshops and plenty of workers, they're just less important at the beginning when you're just starting up.  Another idea I've implemented with my own files is to boost occupancy of labs and workshops to 20 per building, thus giving me more bodies to work, which made it a little easier to construct bases that could at least protect themselves while being able to build or research.  I was having trouble making specialized installations that either fought (with interceptors, dropships, soldiers, and batteries), researched, or built, but not all three.  I may start over at some point and reset the code to release standards, then build my bases in clusters so they can have a builder and researcher with a defender base within radar range to protect them.  Boosting the occupancy allowed me a little more flexibility in base design and brings the production/research balance more in tune before the tweaks to the time requirements.  The tweaks... well... I took 10% off the research and production times for most stuff and it put the game at near X-Com: UD/EU levels of productivity, in my opinion.

It works out well enough for my satisfaction.  I did not bother with changing cost on productions - there has to be some catch to keep the challenge.  It is already slightly cheaper to produce than to buy from the market, which is fine with me.  Do I want to save a few credits or do I need it NOW? :D