project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: English translation  (Read 11880 times)

2-bit Joe

English translation
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:52:49 am »
I want to begin by saying that the developers' English is much better than my German.

For the English translation, "Rang" should be "Rank", meaning the level a soldier has in the Phalanx.

The message "Purchasing an UFO" should be "Pursuing a UFO".

And last, here in the forum, "Cannon Fooder" ought to be "Canon Fodder".

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
English translation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:31:15 pm »
*LOL*
I'd like to purchase an UFO too, and got of this planet. ;)

LeXa2

English translation
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:46:46 am »
Quote from: "Killertomato"
*LOL*
I'd like to purchase an UFO too, and got of this planet. ;)

It's better to sold it out then to FBI or something like that, and then to spend the rest of life doing nothing except spending money )).

QuailLover

English translation
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:08:17 pm »
For the UFO one it is supposed to be Purchasing an UFO.

An only appears before a word starting with a vowel.

v29a

English translation
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:30:27 pm »
@2-bit Joe: theres a really easy way to fix such things

1) download the editor: http://www.poedit.org/
2) download the language file http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/src/po/ (<yourlanguage>.po)
3) open the file with the editor and correct the mistakes
4) post the file here (or provide a patch on sf.net if you know how)

thank you :)

kungfujoe

English translation
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 02:51:07 am »
Quote from: "QuailLover"
For the UFO one it is supposed to be Purchasing an UFO.

An only appears before a word starting with a vowel.
UFO isn't a word, though, it's an acronym, and its pronunciation essentially starts with a "Y" "(You Eff Oh), which is only 'sometimes' a vowel (and when it starts a word, that word is generally modified by "a" instead of "an" - i.e. "That's a Yorkshire Terrier").

English grammar is rarely absolute.  Many words that begin with "H" (which definitely isn't a vowel) are supposed to be modified with "an" instead of "a" (i.e. "it would be an honor" or "this is an homage to my favorite band").  And at least in British English, many words that behind with an h sound (as opposed to "honor" and "homage" where the h is silent) are modified with "an" instead of "a" too (not sure if that's "proper" in American or not.  "an hero" sounds weird to me, but I hear things like that from British actors).

Dare I also mention that "Inofficial patches" (forum title and v29a's sig) should be "Unofficial patches"?

v29a

English translation
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:09:46 am »
@kungfujoe:
shame on you! ;-)
my dictionary tells me that both versions are correct but "un" is more common ... well ill correct it anyway

mlisowsk

English translation
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 10:19:13 am »
v29a: I tried to edit the de.po from the location you mention above and when saving in poedit I get the following error message:

Code: [Select]
21:38:41: D:\dl\games\UFO_AI\de.po:3866: number of format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' does not match
21:38:41: msgfmt: found 1 fatal error

The .po file is saved but no .mo file is created. I am assuming that the .mo file is automatically created when saving, right?

v29a

English translation
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 05:34:19 pm »
yes, right

did you use the rc4 version or the one from current svn?
i only got the svn one and it works flawless.

thanks for contributing :)

mlisowsk

English translation
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 06:17:00 pm »
I took the one from the link above in your previous post. I guess this is the SVN version (the latest available?).

I just tried it on a different machine and it works there. Seems to be some error on my side...sorry.

mlisowsk

English translation
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 09:07:18 pm »
OK, it's me again...with another question.

For ufopedia entries the .po file often contains strings like "dropship_txt" ect. and it is said that the actual text is in the wiki. Does this mean there exists or will exist some tool to extract the wiki description and put it into the .po file or is somebody going to have a big cut & paste session with PoEdit and the wiki pages?

Obviously this would not work for translations because there are no translated wiki pages.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
English translation
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 10:55:48 pm »
there will be a big copy&paste session until Winter is ready with all his texts

mlisowsk

English translation
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:35:45 pm »
OK, I found the cause of the error in poedit above:

When translating, I accidentally omitted a printf() format specifier "%s" in the translated version. That's exactly what the error message was saying ;-). Unfortunately poedit does not state which string is the culprit, it only gives a line number (3866 in this case). One can find the corresponding string by loading the .po file into a text editor and going to the line number given in the error message.

Concerning the cut & paste session, I could try to make a script that automatically extracts the ufopedia text from the wiki and updates the .po file. It would require to have the text identifiers, like "dropship_txt", on the corresponding wiki page though. Alternatively, a page like http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid could point the the individual description pages.

v29a

English translation
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 04:41:05 pm »
i think there is an xml export option in mediawiki

Offline Moe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
English translation
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 07:20:51 pm »
tried that but im getting in the po editor programm "fail to convert contents to unicode"

i copiedpasted into a de.po file and then i opened it with poeditor