project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Saving America 1 shrimp at a time.  (Read 7070 times)

Offline Prinegon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Saving America 1 shrimp at a time.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 11:21:15 pm »
Wow, you totally convinced me! Buying stuff from the neighbourhood and also saving my country labors is a great idea. I will tell all my friends and relatives...
...too bad for you, I live in Germany, so my decision to support local production will be negative for the american jobmarket :-P

Okay, lets get serious. There is sence in the idea to prefer local products over imports. Not only you can be sure the products are made under the rules of your own country (well, as sure as you can get without having a real proof), however products imported may have less quality criteria than products made in your country (in germany, imports follow european quality standards that normaly are not so strict than german standards). You also can help environment if your buying decision prevents unnecessary transportations.
But as already said, this may work for deciding if you buy a local potato or one from spain (or italy, if you come from spain :P ), but for most of the products this just doesn't work. You just cannot grow a orange in finland, e.g. (or at least grow one with reasonable production costs). Bringing the knowhow to build, lets say microwaves in each and every country, so everyone could buy a local produced microwave instead of a import will also proove unefficient. And I really doubt Bayer will relinquish on their Nexavar patent, so this pills can by produced by every country on its own (what doesn't inhibit India from doing so, but thats a different story).

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 02:32:58 am »
I'd have to cross several states, but it would certainly be closer than most other forum members here.

In a week or two im gonna be taking a road trip near his area and probably stay in New York for awhile so your not one of the close ones :P. (My half cent)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:34 am »
Prinegon,
I fully agree. Just let me add:
...You also can help environment if your buying decision prevents unnecessary transportations.
Literally true. But you can easily get fooled by your own misperceptions. I recently learned that a New Zeeland apple can be more CO2-effective than a home-grown one in Germany. Depends on the season.

Harvested in Germany in August, stored in a special refrigerated warehouse, eaten in April.
The CO2 needed for the warehouse can easily exceed the CO2 needed for the shipping from New Zeeland !

As I already said, it can be amazingly complicated for a consumer to do the right thing :(