project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What's your favorite weapon?  (Read 70318 times)

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite weapon?
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2011, 11:56:42 am »
Well, exp for soldiers isn't that big problem. I am running on standard diff, aliens have yet to field shevaars or particle rifles/cannons, and I already have soldier with over 90 mind in my main team. Choose the right team and they will rise quickly. Never found 8 to be too many actually, soldiers that don't have right gear for the map just tag along as fulltime medics.

Offline cyllan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »

i only use machine guns and heavy lasers,  the rest doesnt  really work, maybe rocket launchers some times, i never use grenade launcher, it has no range and the machine gun at medium distance will massacre bunches of aliens 

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
Bolters save my arse from fighting inside harvesters, have a way better ammo capacity than the coilguns and they're generally lovely for close range combat.
I admit the fact that they're fucking railguns might have a slight effect on my decision.

Offline cyllan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2011, 09:24:02 am »

maybe but if you are clever you can draw out all aliens of the ship and only deal with the last 1-2 inside, positioning your marines in an exact place you will have you  50% of the time with free pot shots inside the alien ship , the other 50%  you go in with heavy lasers, i personally dont like the coil gun, you cant wear 2 weapons with it, the ammo is too bulky and i like everyone with medikits and back up grenades just in case

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:54 pm »
I don't even have to go inside with bolters.
All I have to do is place them beside the entrance, grab the ridiculously misrepresented IR goggles and then kill them dead through the floor.

Offline Kanjejou

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 11:02:37 pm »
Flame thrower all the way.

Burn! Baby burn!

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
Flame thrower all the way.

Burn! Baby burn!

That one surprises me. It does good damage, and you can get a few good shots from it in a turn if you don't have to move, but the range is pretty darn short.

I use two each of Grenade Launcher (PB Grenades), Rocket Launcher (HE Rocket), Machine Gun and Flamethrower.  The kill counts are lowest on Flamethrower with Machine Gun a close second. When I get Plasma Blaster researched I'll probably switch out one of Machine Gun and Flamethrower for it.

Highest kill counts on Grenade Launcher, btw.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »
That one surprises me. It does good damage, and you can get a few good shots from it in a turn if you don't have to move, but the range is pretty darn short.

I use two each of Grenade Launcher (PB Grenades), Rocket Launcher (HE Rocket), Machine Gun and Flamethrower.  The kill counts are lowest on Flamethrower with Machine Gun a close second. When I get Plasma Blaster researched I'll probably switch out one of Machine Gun and Flamethrower for it.

Highest kill counts on Grenade Launcher, btw.

That's strange (or my case is). In my game my flamethrowers (two teams) are a bit above GLs, tied with snipers.

The beauty of flames is that anything in its range (with enough ammo and TUs to fire it) is dead. Period. Nothing survives. Especially in the early game that kind of reliability earns fans. The short range just means that it sees use in close quarters, which is where most of the action is anyway.
If it's really needed, give the guy a laser (or plasma) pistol as a secondary for the occasional long range fight with no way to close in.

Offline sambojin

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »
I'll admit that I'm still in the fairly early game (about 3-4 months in on hard) so I haven't reasearched a lot. But the heavy weapons seem to have it for me. I haven't actually been worried in the game so far and am starting to wonder if the whole research thing isn't a waste of time for everything but armour, craft weapons and better craft. I tend to out-sniper the enemy every battle, with just enough stuff in reserve for close-quarters if I need it.

#1 Rocket launcher. Good: Long range, good accuracy, splash damage (possible indirect kills), cheap TU cost, highish damage.
Bad: One shot, expensive ammo, civilian casualties.
I carry 5-6 of these as a main weapon in my squad with a reload in the holster. Fire, forget, drop and pull out your "actual" main weapon from your backpack. Makes you feel all evil and commie but by god does it work. 10-12 rockets flying everywhere in 2 rounds finishes almost all opposition (and sometimes a poorly informed civilian).

2: Sniper rifle. Good: Accuracy(ducked), shoot through walls, 5 round clip, alright power, can still medi-kit someone without dropping it.
Bad: high TU cost for accuracy, needs ducking, sometimes woefully inaccurate.
Sort of like my backup rocket launchers. 2 as main weapons, 1-3 in backpacks with a spare clip. Sniper team at a moments notice.

3: Machine Pistol. Good: Fits on your belt, good ammo, low TU/shots output, makes all soldiers multi-purpose/close/medic experts. Bad: crappy damage, low ranged accuracy, hopeless vs heavy armour.
It fits on your belt. What else is there to say? It also fires 8 shots for not many TU with suprising crouched accuracy. Just something to pull out and spray at whatever you want/can't hit any other way. Ultimate secondary weapon.

My other favourites are the MG and the grenade launcher. I'm actually leaning toward's the MG instead of as many snipers, the "1" shot kill of full auto is amazing, although they make my squads a little too static for my liking. I like grenade launchers (and grenades) for the very cool things you can do with them. Can't quite reach an alien? Target 2-3 Z-levels up (by holding shift and pulling back a square or two), timed burst and pretend your mini-artillery. Works more often than not....

My standard soldier (pretty much everyone) has armour+night vision, a RL or sniper equpped, medikit+rocket/magazine in holster, machine pistol+grenade on belt, and then either a sniper/MG/GL+clips+grenades in their Backpack. or just a random weapon I want to try. Nothing has ever suprised me, and my poor troops carry this enormous load without a hitch. Even the bugged "big-city" wasn't a problem with a loadout like this. Eveyone can do everything, with enough ammo to keep on going regardless. Plasma smasma :)

Offline Rowanas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2011, 05:13:07 pm »
Sniper rifles (even after coilguns are in) and Rocket Launchers are my favourites, but I only field one of each (two snipers max) in any team. Actually, I tell a lie. My favourite weapon is the stunrod. Every troop carries a stunrod as basic equipment, and for my close-range soldiers (read: cannon fodder) it's one of their primary armaments.

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:23 pm »
Assault rifle.

Even when the ortnoks appears with medium armor jejejejeje. Crouching and firing in full auto, i can dispatch many aliens at decent ranges. And in CQB, full auto makes the work nicely.

In my team, i have 4 rifleman; 2 lasers and 2 assault rifle. 2 support soldiers (MG) 1 sniper (with SR) and a grenadier or another rifleman, maybe with laser rifle.

The riflemans have rocket launchers in backpack, except one with flametrower. With this combo, i have sufficient firepower for any situation

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »
I´m playing 2.3.1, and i haven´t seen the flashbang or smoke grenades. What about them?

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:04 pm »
No worky, dummied out till they do.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:13 pm »
i used to like grenade launchers, but not so much anymore : )
and flamers no longer always kill an armored taman for 12 tu.

now my favorite weapon is the holy hand grenade of doom.
i mean the frag grenade, didn't even research plasma yet.
makes my soldiers flexible like ballerinas.
can create yaw-dropping solutions that are unique and situational, for a soldier that uses a primary firearm, without the recurring 'who has the grenade launcher?' inconvenience.
the hand grenade can free your mind from suffering.

that's all i have to say about my favorite weapon.

edit by necessity that appeared in some other thread:
it does make sense to run around the battlefield with grenade in one hand and a knife in the other hand (more kills than the snipers in the same team).
that is because when the alien walks close, the human might want to walk a few steps closer to the alien and then walk around the alien a little bit (to the side, just out of view) to avoid reaction fire while killing the alien.
and that is melee range, and the soldier might as well be using a knife.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:16:23 am by homunculus »

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2011, 03:32:27 pm »
On the October 15th nightly:

Grenade launchers. Mediocre range, but for 15 TU you get a high probability of a kill, plus good ability to damage or even kill additional targets.

Machine gun. Huge damage output (near the top of the damage/TU ratio list) and a long effective range when crouched, plus those magical moments when the aliens decide to line up for you.

Plasma blade. Go around corners with confidence!

Coilgun. Ammo's large and expensive, but with a good sniper I find I get about the same number of kills out of the two rounds in a coil magazine as I do from the sniper rifle's 5.

Not long ago I would have said the flamethrower, but with alien armor getting heavier I'm starting to have aliens survive Infernos—the guaranteed kill (with an unobstructed shot) was the big factor making up for the tiny range, so with that going away I'm not sure about its future in my loadout. Still a favourite until Interest gets into the mid-upper 200s.

~J