project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How Do You Play Multiplayer?  (Read 4635 times)

HighXplosive

How Do You Play Multiplayer?
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:26:42 am »
Can anyone explain in detail how you would go about playing against a friend of yours 1 v 1 on this game. There is absolutely no written documentation on it on Sourceforge, here, or the wiki.

EDIT: For RC 4.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:33:26 am »
AFAIK:

you: ./ufoded +map dam01d

you: 1on1

you in console 2: ./ufo  

you in console 2: /Multiplayer/Team/Auto/Join/Lan/yourIP/Connect

friend: ./ufo

friend: /Multiplayer/Team/Auto/Join/Lan/yourIP/Connect

Mayhem begins...

HighXplosive

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:38:41 am »
Consoles? Please elaborate.

EDIT: I believe by consoles you meant the Dedicated Server and game itself.

I managed to create a dedicated server from outside the game and join it from the game. However, my buddy couldn't. He kept getting  "connecting to" on the console.

EDIT2: The "connecting to" issue couldn't be solved, btw, but my buddy managed connect to me using the connect command on the ingame console.

However, when he did that, his game would not load. And when I ended a turn to see if that had any effect, he disconnected and the game froze as if it was his turn but obviously he wasn't there to take his turn.

So...now what?

Note: "ERROR: CL_ParseEvent: timetable overflow" occurs after end of turn, and nothing loads. Music begins to stutter and framerate drops significantly.

ubequitz

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:56:26 am »
You might have stumbled on a bug. Multiplayer I believe has not been thoroughly tested yet (devs please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll start looking into the "ERROR: CL_ParseEvent: timetable overflow" thing...

HighXplosive

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:46:55 am »
Doing some lookup of the bugs tracked on the project site, bandobras has closed a topic detailing this exact error, and specifies it be resumed if the problem still exists in RC 4. While this topic did not mention anything about multiplayer, its the exact same error.

I was also under the impression multiplayer was working, as said in the RC 4 change log. Oh well.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 07:34:48 am »
i'm currently working at a wiki entry for multiplayer - see http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/Multiplayer

but this is work in progress - far from beeing completed - feel free to contribute

HighXplosive

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:36:15 am »
Any ideas about the error though that is coming up?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 03:39:33 pm »
Nope. :) Multiplayer was tested mainly on Linux, I guess, and there it worked OK. Good we get some testing on Win now... Sorry for the inconvenience. :)