project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ok, no saving - How about hibernate?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline laos

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Ok, no saving - How about hibernate?
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »
I understand the argument behind "no saving during battle" and I support it. However there is a solution, "hibernate" the the battle if you need to, "resume" when you can. The difference between saving and hibernation is obvious, you can never ever reopen a hibernated game. Once opened, you can't go back. So, when you make a mistake, you cant reload.

One could say, "OK, why not just hibernate your PC then." Unfortunately, this is not a solution for most Linux users.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, no saving - How about hibernate?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:43:09 pm »
It still hits the issue that nobody is willing to implement and maintain it.

Offline tetrahedral

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:43:03 pm »
You know, I've noticed that a few of the games I've been playing lately (e.g. the remix of Final Fantasy VI for GBA, I think the GBA & SNES versions of Dragon Warrior too) have a "quick save" feature that will write the save info & then take you immediately back to the main menu/title screen, so all you can do is reload that quicksave or quit the game.  But as soon as you load the quicksave, the save slot is erased, so there's no long-term storage of the data, and there's no going back to re-do things you've already done.

I've been lurking sporadically for a few years so I'm generally aware of all the debates that have gone on about the mid-mission save being potentially abusive, but I haven't followed the threads closely enough to know if nobody's willing to implement a feature like this because of the potential for abuse.  Is that why?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:52:28 pm »
No, it's just the buckets of time and effort that are involved.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:17 am »
As a player I fully support the view of the game designers.

As a bug-hunter, I'd *love* to see this feature, so I ventured into the appropriate part of the code, only to find that the benefits to bugfinding don't seem to justify the amount of work needed to implement it.

'nuff said.

Offline Colamann

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:52:14 am »
I've been lurking sporadically for a few years so I'm generally aware of all the debates that have gone on about the mid-mission save being potentially abusive, but I haven't followed the threads closely enough to know if nobody's willing to implement a feature like this because of the potential for abuse.  Is that why?
Thanks to BTAxis for clearing that issue. I don't see how a function in the single player mode of an open source game could be abused, anyway.

Offline docwild

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:48:05 pm »
The 'retry' feature is much nicer anyway, if you have to leave then hibernate. On the Amiga I used to run it from a Ram Drive and save it like that, it should be possible to do that today but dont ask me how, I have trouble finding my way around vista's control panel on my lappy.  Lord knows how big a savefile would be for a big map but if you really want the feature I'd suggest you read up on RAM dumping, which is how emulators save their state. I suppose you could run it in a virtual machine or on a JIT emulator and it would be possible.