project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Shooting down UFO's?  (Read 7342 times)

Offline sourdough

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Shooting down UFO's?
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:15:24 am »

In the early game, like the first few hours of play even, i can't shoot down UFO's at all.
The best method i've had involves saving and reloading repeatedly.  :D
Is this normal?

Also:
Is the research/tech tree mapped out anywhere?
I can't figure out what leads to better planes/ships.

Offline Mr. Gravemold

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting down UFO's?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:27 am »
Basically it's very difficult until you research some of the weapons based on alien tech.

So you're not doing anything wrong.

Offline Trifler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:04:15 am »
In the early game I seem to have the most success with Stilettos armed with two Sparrowhawk's and one Shiva Cannon. A Stiletto with three Shiva Cannons is able to shoot down a Scout, but nothing else. However, when money is tight, having one Stiletto armed with three Shiva's accompany a better armed Stiletto can work. However they're armed, sending two Stilettos at the same time increases your odds dramatically. If you use the Saracen, it seems to take at least two to take on a Fighter or larger. With base space so limited, I find it difficult to take advantage of them.

Using Saracen at other bases would be easier if there was a way to permanently equip the guards at my base, rather than having to do it every time the base gets attacked (for bases without dropships). Then I could build a couple or three bases that specialize in Saracen interceptors.

In 2.2.1 I found armor to be worthless, but it seems to do some good in 2.3. This is especially true since it's easier to intercept UFOs in 2.3.

The Fuel Pod is useless in all versions so far. It needs to either carry a lot more fuel so that it actually increases range, or else it needs the speed penalties removed and just add the fuel.

BTW could the Stiletto possibly be changed so that it uses a single, centered medium weapon mount? As it is now, you place one medium weapon on one wing, and a light weapon on the other wing, and the whole thing is lop-sided. It never makes sense to use two medium weapons since the penalties are too painful.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:09:25 am by Trifler »

Offline Trifler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:22:59 am »
I can't figure out what leads to better planes/ships.

In 2.2.1 you have to have a UFO Hangar at one of your bases. Once you have one, then shoot down a UFO and send your troops to finish off the survivors. Once you win the mission, it will give you the option of recovering the UFO. Do so, and it will be transported to your base. Once it gets there, your scientists will send you a message about how they'd like to study it. It takes a long time to research, but that leads you down the path towards better interceptors.

In 2.3 the UFO Hangars have been removed and instead you build UFO Storage Yards outside of the base. This frees up some valuable space in your bases. In this case you must first build a UFO Storage Yard (and finish it) before you have the option of recovering a UFO.

Offline Chuan Qin

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:24 am »
In 2.2.1 you have to have a UFO Hangar at one of your bases. Once you have one, then shoot down a UFO and send your troops to finish off the survivors. Once you win the mission, it will give you the option of recovering the UFO. Do so, and it will be transported to your base. Once it gets there, your scientists will send you a message about how they'd like to study it. It takes a long time to research, but that leads you down the path towards better interceptors.

In 2.3 the UFO Hangars have been removed and instead you build UFO Storage Yards outside of the base. This frees up some valuable space in your bases. In this case you must first build a UFO Storage Yard (and finish it) before you have the option of recovering a UFO.

I have won 2.2.1 and sent the UFO to the base. Now scientist have started there research. how long will it take to finish their research, I am really in need of alien weaponry here :(

Offline Avimimus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:48 pm »
I use as many Sparrow-hawk AA missiles as possible early in the game. I stand a chance of taking out most UFOs (especially if using more than one fighter). I've generally found that the Shiva cannon has too short a range to be effective (as my craft generally get shot down earlier).

In areas with many missions it helps to have a base and radar installation for evading opponents. I also tend to send out fighters as decoys for the transports when they are within range.

Offline Brasher

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:25:06 am »
Starting out sucks, but I pair up Stillettos, both armed with 1 cannon(or laser) and 2 sparrows.  They can take on scouts and fighters with no loss.  Harvesters will still kick the crap out of them, but I follow them with my transport and let them land for troop exp. and new scenery anyways.  I have found I can target a Harvester with a Stilletto and every now and then it will change course to intercept, so I then bait it to a sam/laser site in this manner.  It takes some micro-managing, but it can save you a dime if you're that desperate.