project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Model vertical scale a bit off (why?)  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Model vertical scale a bit off (why?)
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:31 pm »
I've been trying different things to test the new models, and I've found that the game stretches (scales) the soldier body and head models vertically a bit - how do I adjust this?  I can't seem to find it in the .ufo files.

Notice how the headshot in the upper-left corner looks different in scale compared to the main display.

Edit:  Please also notice in the last two pics how the new model comes out taller than the old ones.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:00:57 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Model vertical scale a bit off (why?)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:09:15 am »
Upp!  Hang on, I found part of the issue:  I thought the new model in Blender was the right scale, it wasn't.

This part should be easily fixable in Blender.

Still, why does the corner head picture differ in scale from the main display one?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:15:07 am »
i think this is not the case - but it looks like it is the case because of the chose rotation angle of the camera. the hair of your soldiers head makes the head look like vertically stretched.

the engine is not doing any stretching with the models.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:51:57 am »
Actually, I now suspect it may be the OpenGL drivers for my new video card - I fired up a few other 3D games and saw the same difference comparing 3D perspective to orthographic graphics, and using OpenGL this happens but with DirectX games it does not.  I also looked at graphics in games that support both drivers and saw a difference.

OK, that one's solved.  I'll adjust the models in Blender.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:59:23 am »
Alright!  I tweaked things in Blender, re-exported, and now the new models work great both in the missions and the menus!

Those weapons still look gigantic though, some of them...

When all the new models are done, as I said before, we'll have to re-scale all the weapons.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:01:09 am »
...Oh, and I *do* need to fix that haircut - The head model sorta works right now but I wouldn't call it permanent yet.  It seems to work for testing though.

Edit: ...But perhaps we could use some wild hair like that for civilian models, not all of them of course, but who knows what styles will be around ~80 years from now?

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:47:48 am »
ure models are quite asthenic. especially the thighs are not really muscular (see picture). though not sure if u can change that in this phase. sry.

the position would also look much better with the standing angled and not as narrow (see feet of old model. looks a bit "cooler" not as a rookie).

anyway. i like all ure work and always like to visit this part of the forum. great artworks here =).

btw.: why is the green selection in ufo ai not round. is that difficult to code?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:53:37 am by Bartleby »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
ure models are quite asthenic. especially the thighs are not really muscular (see picture). though not sure if u can change that in this phase. sry.

Actually yes, I can, and this phase is a very good time to adjust such things, while progress is still rather early and before more models for armor types are made.  Things like this are part of the whole reason I'm doing these in-game tests.

I've noticed that in Blender the new models look great, but for some strange reason they do look thinner in-game.

the position would also look much better with the standing angled and not as narrow (see feet of old model. looks a bit "cooler" not as a rookie).

That would be easy to fix.

anyway. i like all ure work and always like to visit this part of the forum. great artworks here =).

When I get the pk3 working, you'll be able to try these new models out yourself with the dev 2.3 version.   ;)

(Which will be great, it will provide for valuable feedback.)

btw.: why is the green selection in ufo ai not round. is that difficult to code?

That one of the coders will have to address - I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »
because current graphic card technology dont like curves :)