project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Re-doing some translations in French  (Read 3432 times)

Offline zamoth

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re-doing some translations in French
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:09:02 pm »
Hi, I'm actually working (since I have time to, this will not last long) on translating in French.
First, I completed some new Translations, directly in the Wiki ... Then, I started to read what had been done ... and so many texts were just drag'n'drop from an automated translation tool ... No soul ... Some parts did not make any sens.  So I started rebuilding all texts in the Wiki.

Now, I've Finished reading again the FAQ on translation, but I still have questions ...

1) Translation and po files
If I have well understood, text in the Wiki is just extracted directly to the game ... and the .po files just contains menu translations ...

2) automated extraction
I guess when you want to inject the translation in the game, the headers are extracted and filtered directly from SQL ...  Could you explain if there is anything to take care of when writing a wiki entry ... like taking care of '= headlines =' or anything else ... are text automaticly cleaned or is one doing this manually ?

3) At the end of a msgid Wiki translation text, there is a '= Research Tree Data =' and some times a '==Links==' menu.  Do they have to be perfect ?  Or is this only for reference ?  I've notticed some differences time to time

4) Am I doing things right ? :)

Thx
Zamoth

Offline zamoth

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Re-doing some translations in French
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »
And I forgot, do you get all translations up to date in the sheets ?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:05:02 pm »
1. You should translate menu texts directly in .po, and big texts in wiki. Some of developers run special script, and extract that wiki-texts to .po file.

2,3. Script use html version of text, and cut footer of article. afaik it use header tags to get proposal|answer. Look to english version of articles to make structure, the game use the same "translation" for that language too.

4. yep, you do it fine. Just don`t forget about signatures, like you have done in http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Recherche/Communication_Alien (I haven`t looked to all your articles)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »
1+ Alter .po files with PoEdit only. Use the latest version of the po file.

-geever

Offline zamoth

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:13 am »
Missed one signature ... guess it is the only one I frogot.