project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Select Soldiers for Base defense?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Tlactar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Select Soldiers for Base defense?
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:18:05 am »
Well, i guess this might have been pointed out out before, but i can't find it anywhere - so i'll suggest it anyways. If it has been discussed feel free to ignore this, or even link me to the thread ;)

Why ain't i able to select which soldiers i want to defend my base with? (assuming it actually makes sense not to defend with all Soldiers you've got...)
When i happen to have more than 8 Soldiers on my base, the game decides for me which ones will defend it i case of an attack (it's not even the crew of my dropship).
Problem: Not all my soldiers have armor then. My dropship squad is fully equipped (even when they are not the ones defending), the rest is not...

So my suggestion: let me decide who gets to defend, maybe add a "on defense duty" menu to the base or at least take my (first in case of more than one) dropship's crew as Defenders -> last one seems the easiest way.
(or remove the 8-person limit -> makes more sense, but i guess it would be even harder to implement...)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Select Soldiers for Base defense?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:41:43 am »
The aircraft-soldier dependency is a hard limit now. It will change once but until that there is a hack that makes it possible to defend your base. If the base is attacked everyone should take part in defending it (but 8 soldiers is another hard limit now.).

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:16 am »
The aircraft-soldier dependency is a hard limit now. It will change once but until that there is a hack that makes it possible to defend your base. If the base is attacked everyone should take part in defending it (but 8 soldiers is another hard limit now.).

-geever

if the hard limit is staying then i have to say it makes sense to either select troops from the drop ships to defend the base or as suggested here prompt the user to choose which solders they want

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:05:25 am »
if the hard limit is staying then i have to say it makes sense to either select troops from the drop ships to defend the base or as suggested here prompt the user to choose which solders they want

It makes no sense for me to implement temporary hack for that for 2 players.

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:32 am »
It makes no sense for me to implement temporary hack for that for 2 players.

-geever

if the max size 8 hard limit is staying then it isn't a temporary hack it's a bug fix, if the hard limit is going then it's outside of the if in my statement.

IIRC a screen has been proposed and accepted, that will allow the user to alter the troops equipment just prior to starting a mission, this would just be a tweak to that screen. show all available troops with their equipment but don't let the user select more than 8 troops while that is the limit. basically identical to assigning them to a drop ship.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:22:33 am by Gunner »