project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Defenses  (Read 13987 times)

White_Cat

Defenses
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:30 am »
You can only build 4 missile batteries and 4 laser ones. Together these occupy 8 spaces... 25-8=17
17-9(1 access lift, 1 command center, 1 power plant, 1 general stores, 1 living quarters, 1 radar, 1 hospital, 2 hangar)=8. Not much left for me to add anything to the base...

I know people will yell at me for suggesting this, but...

I really think I should be able to mount 4 laser turrets on a missile battery and be allowed to only build one of these per base... It should still cost 4 times the maintenance if 4 weapons are mounted. Same goes for the missile battery.

I actually think base defenses should only be built at the 4 corners of the base (outside of the area you fight when aliens try to attack your base). The restriction of 4 defensive structures would make sense then...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Defenses
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:06 am »
We will have Larger Bases later. But I disagree. You shouldn't build that much defences to a base. If you do, yea you won't have space for anything useful. That's game balance..

-geever

White_Cat

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:08:55 pm »
We will have Larger Bases later. But I disagree. You shouldn't build that much defences to a base. If you do, yea you won't have space for anything useful. That's game balance..

-geever

I guess you are right... but I can't think of why I am restricted to only having 4? I'd like to see base defenses (built in the base) to be like in xcom3. It would make more sense... As for anti-air... That should probably be an installation exclusive...

All this is of course merely an opinion... Like it or not its there... :P

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »
I know you would like to see xcom here but you won't. These base defence buildings are anti-air defences only. You don't have to build them in-base, you can build samsites. It's up to you. As for only four, it's scripted, see basemanagement.ufo. You can change it but it's also a cheat. :P

-geever

White_Cat

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:07:41 pm »
I know you would like to see xcom here but you won't. These base defence buildings are anti-air defences only. You don't have to build them in-base, you can build samsites. It's up to you. As for only four, it's scripted, see basemanagement.ufo. You can change it but it's also a cheat. :P

-geever

Umm.. My proposals here are over the potential of them improving the game. I do not see why you are so defensive...

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:45:20 pm »
You can only build 4 missile batteries and 4 laser ones. Together these occupy 8 spaces... 25-8=17
17-9(1 access lift, 1 command center, 1 power plant, 1 general stores, 1 living quarters, 1 radar, 1 hospital, 2 hangar)=8. Not much left for me to add anything to the base...

I know people will yell at me for suggesting this, but...

I really think I should be able to mount 4 laser turrets on a missile battery and be allowed to only build one of these per base... It should still cost 4 times the maintenance if 4 weapons are mounted. Same goes for the missile battery.

I actually think base defenses should only be built at the 4 corners of the base (outside of the area you fight when aliens try to attack your base). The restriction of 4 defensive structures would make sense then...
why no built 2 sams around base to strenghten firepower?
i sometimes even no build battery to save base space just 3 sams around its enuf to take out all except harvy

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 01:57:33 pm »
Umm.. My proposals here are over the potential of them improving the game. I do not see why you are so defensive...

I'll ask BTAxis about your suggestions but a little change can unbalance the game that's why I'm so strict.
The current state: 1 battery per building max 4 of each type, allow laser and missile in different buildings only was agreed.

-geever

Offline Nightknight

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:36 pm »
Greetings,

Sorry for interrupting your conversation, guys.
Speaking about defensive systems, Geever would It be possible (Do not know if it's planned, If it is don't pay me attention) to "upgrade" the external base installations? Specifically the "SAM Sites"?
About base defence systems, I find 2 laser batteries do suffice for the moment, Their range is a bit short but it's compensated by the RoF (Rate of Fire). Also, White_Cat, remember that too many Base Defence Systems give out your base location.
Maybe, Add particle beam weapons Defence? Electromagnetic Defence?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:59 pm »
External beam (laser, whatever) defences won't happen, it was decided. About new type of rocket launcher well, we don't have model  for this one either...

-geever

White_Cat

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 07:53:49 pm »
External beam (laser, whatever) defences won't happen, it was decided. About new type of rocket launcher well, we don't have model  for this one either...

-geever

Maybe I haven't explained what I proposed well... What I suggest is each base starting with 4 anti-air slots. These aren't like external sam sites... The player can mount any defensive structure on them. These would be placed at four corners of the base (automatically). Maintenance system would be the same. Each mounted weapon would cost more in maintenance. The 4 structure limit would make sense then.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:33 pm »
Maybe I haven't explained what I proposed well... What I suggest is each base starting with 4 anti-air slots. These aren't like external sam sites... The player can mount any defensive structure on them. These would be placed at four corners of the base (automatically). Maintenance system would be the same. Each mounted weapon would cost more in maintenance. The 4 structure limit would make sense then.

We won't change the base layout for this neither the maintenance system. It makes no sense. Why would we restrict where a building can be built (this way)? What if the corner is blocked?

If you read the Larger bases article I linked you know what our plans are.

-geever

White_Cat

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:12:26 pm »
We won't change the base layout for this neither the maintenance system. It makes no sense. Why would we restrict where a building can be built (this way)? What if the corner is blocked?

If you read the Larger bases article I linked you know what our plans are.

-geever

I know of the plans. :)

What I propose is

D1             D2
    |  Base  |
    |  Base  |
D3             D4

The
|  Base  |
|  Base  |
Is the current build able area... So they'd be outside of it at the four corners. Wouldn't use the build space... Player would only be able to build 4 defenses (not 8 or more). It doesn't make much sense to have defenses within the base. That was something I found stupid with xcom... Why have explosives that could wipe out the entire base within the base... And not just that but to pop them up for the aliens to shoot it... The reason I am trying so hard is to propose something I feel makes logical sense more...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »
We would have to reduce the range and firepower to balance that. In XCom base defences had other purpose. Our defences fire any craft flying over..
Still don't think we should change it.

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »
Base weapons are an option, not a given. You can build your base full of defenses if you wish, but then you can't build much else (as stated). This is good game design, and there is no reason to change it.

White_Cat

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 10:27:16 pm »
Base weapons are an option, not a given. You can build your base full of defenses if you wish, but then you can't build much else (as stated). This is good game design, and there is no reason to change it.

You are missing the point though. Why would anyone in their right minds keep base defenses within the base? That is what I am ultimately inquiring...