project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Long time follower... wishing to helpout  (Read 6500 times)

Offline jay108

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Long time follower... wishing to helpout
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:07:41 pm »
Hello All,
 I have been following UFO AI since the xmas release and have just created a forum account. I have been following UFO AI with interest as UFO Enemy Unknown was the best game I have ever played on the Amiga.

I was originally looking to help out in coding area, but sadly I pale in comparison to the current coders (excellent work BTW). I tried the latest beta of 2.3 held on destructivators website and it was ALOT better than I was expecting. It seems your best and brightest were looking for more webspace to store the latest betas and upload them. Taking this into account I believe a can satisfy that requirement with around 7GB webspace and 50GB bandwidth/mo. This is currently unused space from my personal / old business website.

The only reason I found destructivators website was to find the latest beta build. Currently I have r25570. Previously I had to wait for nacando <sp> ? which someone else uploaded beta debug builds on the forum which to be honest was/is a terrible download system. Someone else mentioned problems with filefront (usually filefront doesnt like large uploads).

May I provide one of the dev guys with a username asnd password for ftp access to the webspace? There-by they can have the space they desire to upload large beta installers? I am not sure what your policies are in relation to use of third party space, if so I think I can provide what your looking for. It would mean everyone in the community would have a direct download link to UFO AI Beta builds.

Thanks,
James

Ain Soph Aur

Re: Long time follower... wishing to helpout
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:24:59 pm »
maybe you could send 'odie' a personal message? his profile:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=6452

he is the one that usually uploads the binaries to the nakido website. the thread:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3462.0

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »
Yes, I've let Odie take care of uploading dev builds for some time, I've been busy with other matters.  The builds on my site are quite outdated and old (as well as the rest of my personal website, but that's another matter...)

odie

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:28:51 pm »
Hello All,
 I have been following UFO AI since the xmas release and have just created a forum account. I have been following UFO AI with interest as UFO Enemy Unknown was the best game I have ever played on the Amiga.

I was originally looking to help out in coding area, but sadly I pale in comparison to the current coders (excellent work BTW). I tried the latest beta of 2.3 held on destructivators website and it was ALOT better than I was expecting. It seems your best and brightest were looking for more webspace to store the latest betas and upload them. Taking this into account I believe a can satisfy that requirement with around 7GB webspace and 50GB bandwidth/mo. This is currently unused space from my personal / old business website.

The only reason I found destructivators website was to find the latest beta build. Currently I have r25570. Previously I had to wait for nacando <sp> ? which someone else uploaded beta debug builds on the forum which to be honest was/is a terrible download system. Someone else mentioned problems with filefront (usually filefront doesnt like large uploads).

May I provide one of the dev guys with a username asnd password for ftp access to the webspace? There-by they can have the space they desire to upload large beta installers? I am not sure what your policies are in relation to use of third party space, if so I think I can provide what your looking for. It would mean everyone in the community would have a direct download link to UFO AI Beta builds.

Thanks,
James

Hi James!

Welcome to this project! :D
I am so glad to hear another fan on the site! Hahahaha.... its GREAT to have more fans coming up and sharing their positive experiences; BETTER STILL when they offer to help constructively! :D

I am glad that u have tried the 2.3 BETAS (or should i say, ALPHAS) versions.... they are uber good, but i am sad to say u have gotten the 25500+s revisions only. Its currently in the 25800+ and probably even as i speak, crossing to 26000+. :D

I love filefront's system - if only it has upload resume functions. My local ISPs dun quite like this filefront.... and when i dc, timeouts and stuff, i am resetted back to ZERO! Its damn uber frustrating considering that i only have 1Mbps upload speed and the file is a whopping ~600MB FILE. And i do this on a daily -> weekly thing.

As much as i thnk nakido's servers have this flag thing (which requires install / activation and TSR), they allow me to resume uploads if dc-ed. But i must say no one is perfect - nakido is compensated over filefront (or compromised should i say) over its speed, the frustrations of nakido's handling of TSR and of course many diff users' compatibility issues. THEN again, nothing called best of both worlds. Lol.

Nakido works wonders for me and many others, and a pure nightmarish hell for some. I cant help it. I dun host my own servers. :P

So how do we move on from here? Hmmmm. If u do host a server, and do not mind GBs / even TBs of bandwidth lost.... here's the commitment required:

1) Allow probably almost indefinate hosting of files - ~600MB file each, and so far, nakido hosted some 70+ files of mine which equates ~42GB of files (some 42000MB).

2) Since per upload takes up some 600MB bandwidth and downloads are typically abt 30-100+ per files, lets average tat to abt 50 (min) downloads per file. This equates to: 2100000MBs of downloads so far, for just the last few months -> This is quite nightmarish considering its almost 2TBs of bandwith in just a few months. Lets average tat to per month.

Abt say 3 files (can be up to 5) per wk, abt 50 downloads each, for 4 wks = 3 x 50 x 4 x 600MB = 360GB of bandwith on average a month.

If that is acceptable, probably i might consider your file server! :D It would hugely benefits alot of ppl! :D

If ur host allows the a/m requirements, I would LOVE a private server! Haha. U can create the sharing, limit the UID and PW to the folder, and send me a pte msg ok? :D

Thanks beforehand for offering the help! I can understand if u decided not to offer the services after knowing the limitations, though. Its a HUGE commit so :D

Welcome to the project once again! :D Have fun!

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
Maybe I missed the point odie, but Are all the 70+ files needed?
I would say rotate max 7 from the last week.

-geever

Offline jay108

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:55:13 pm »
Well judging from your post odie, I think I may be able to satisy the bandwidth requirements (depending on volume) except ATM I am transferring a large amount of data (8.6GB) between one server and the next. I have a excellent host. Currently the server is holding 5 shared websites(although that term website feels rather quaint in comparison), all of which I am maintaining. Elitesupport is the old company website, which I have partitioned 2GB so far for UFO AI dev builds.  I will partition more space for use once that data has been carried across.

odie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:22:38 am »
Maybe I missed the point odie, but Are all the 70+ files needed?
I would say rotate max 7 from the last week.

-geever

Hihi geever,

Haha, actually not all 70 files are needed IMO for most ppl.

But i do understand from some projects tat they keep all their dev builts until they have done a release for that. I rmbr someone gave me a good rationale:

1) When u need to trace back a certain issue and see its intended behaviour, u need to revert your revision.
2) When this is so, u go thru the extreme hassle of revert, compile, test. Then update again, compile and test.
3) Hence, most devs keep various stages of their compilations for that matter.

However, i do agree that my lvl of 'archiving' is extreme lol. But i would not know which to keep, hence i kept them all until the nx release, in which most likely i would discharge them all.

I am not doing this on nakido, cos its not FTP based, and a bit hasslesome to del single file by single file. :P

But if its ftp tat i can do thru ftp commander (freeware btw), i would LOVE to maintain maybe every other 500 revisions. Lol.

But its a good observation and poking at me, geever. :P

PS: geever / destructavator: If u r seeing this, i do have some issues abt the latest ufoai workspace file. See the other conversation -> http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3995.0

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:36:26 am »
it would be nice to know the installer sizes for several revisions.

odie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:35:15 am »
it would be nice to know the installer sizes for several revisions.

Hi Mattn,

I believed that i have that info at the download page. (At least at the nakido's page where it was linked from the forums).

If its the last 500 revisions, installer for windows (debug versions for 32 bits) hovers around 580 to 600 MB each.

:D

Offline jay108

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:05 am »
I have emailed the FTP details on how to connect to someones gmail account. Can you confirm its working?

Offline Thyranim

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 03:17:23 pm »
woooh ftp-space :D
sounds great :D

Offline jay108

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 03:27:30 pm »
Ok webspace is now at 10gig you can use, I have given you the username and password. Enjoy.

EDIT

The HTTP location is : www.elitesupport.org/ufoai
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:31:28 pm by jay108 »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »
i will start to upload installers "soon" - thanks again

Offline LuckyLindy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 04:18:13 pm »
Yeah, me too.  I had to take a little trip over the big pond to play with nasty people who hate us and I got to play 2.2.1 (and other UFO games as well as other games) and thought it was a "good start."  Last night I downloaded the lastest developers build, and I am impressed. Way to go!  UFO:AI is really starting to take the look of a professionally distributed game.  While I obviously haven't played it through, I love what I see.  Anything I could do to help, please let me know.  I am an Army civy geologist/hydrologist by trade and I may be able to add to the storyline or story arcs.  Again, my humbled thanks to the hard work that I've seen with this project (takes hat off in salute).

Offline jay108

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:21:24 pm »
Army civvie you say  8)? You on www.arrse.co.uk at all? MOD Civ Contractor or MOD Civ Direct?