project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Night Maps  (Read 3582 times)

Offline EaglePryde

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Night Maps
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »
Maybe it's just me but the Maps at night feel just dark. It could use a bit more atmosphere. Some light around the soldiers like in X-Com would also be nice. I know it downs realism a bit but i think it would add great to the game. Maybe because Enemy Unknown and TFTD had those vibrant colors it added to game atmosphere and all those creepy sounds from walking aliens. Even if you didn't see them you knew they where close by and by the sound you could guess what kind of alien scumbag it was. Brings back memories  ;D

Somehow it all added up great and gave the games something special. The newer UFO games somehow lack this certain something about them.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Night Maps
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:47 pm »
Music/Sound - yep, being creepy would not be bad I guess.

About the "glowing soldiers" stuff ("Some light around the soldiers ") - i dont think it makes sense to have a soldier run around with
lights on. I mean, this is like tagging a sign on him "shoot me! shoot me!", and there should be an explanation for such light
effects, other than purely making the game easier for the player, imho. UFO.AI is not a real clone as such, it is much more a
new game in my opinion.

I do agree slightly that the night makes it a bit hard to see what is where ... my proposal is to instead think about light effects.
In reallife I guess people would use infravision or similar gadgets. Or even a simple light attached to the gun

Or, alternatively, to use a flash light shot into the air, which helps illuminate the area for some rounds

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:26:14 am »
You are assuming that aliens see better in the light, like humans do.

Right now, from the proposals for visibility (how well units can see each other), aliens would actually have a harder time seeing a human with a light than a human without a light...

Just an odd note... >.>

Offline EaglePryde

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »
Flash lights mounted to guns would be cool or flares that you can toss around to make some light. Night and Infra Vison would be nice  ;D And what also would be nice to later have some psi sight. Motion trackers would also add up nicely  :D

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:04 pm »
Flash lights mounted to guns would be cool or flares that you can toss around to make some light.

not sure how the lighting works in the game engine, but you would probably need persistent damage which isn't in the game, so things like a incendiary Grenade, it burns everything around then goes away, there is no follow up fire that burns then the next turn. so if they could do a light grenade you would probably get a brief glow that is gone as soon as the explosion animation finished

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 01:24:40 am »
not sure how the lighting works in the game engine, but you would probably need persistent damage which isn't in the game, so things like a incendiary Grenade, it burns everything around then goes away, there is no follow up fire that burns then the next turn. so if they could do a light grenade you would probably get a brief glow that is gone as soon as the explosion animation finished
smoke grenades keeps 2 or 3 turns

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:58:46 am »
smoke grenades keeps 2 or 3 turns

your right i completely forgot about them

kori

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:51 am »
Hello, first post :)

In Jagged Alliance 2 there were (Chemical) Break Lights, incredibly useful for night ops. They were used as grenades, probably coded as such.

Flashlights would be a great idea - imagine the possibilities in multiplayer! E.g. you decide to turn on the flashlight right before a corner (since you're an idiot) and the enemy sees you and is either going to wait and shoot or go back, but either way it gives him a heads up.

Again in JA2, there were night vision and ir goggles, but their use didn't show on the tactical map in a light form; afaik they only improve the perception stats of the merc that's equipped them.