project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Steps on UFO development.  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Steps on UFO development.
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:27:16 am »
I was reading about the proyect, and i found that there's not much people working on all the things that shall be done. For that reason, i present a proposal.

Many games had expansion packs. I belive that if the UFO team concentrate on the basis of the game (the actual techs, ufos, etc.) and a basic storyline, its possible to make a final game. But only a first part. This allows to concentrate efforts to make the second one, with many ideas exposed in this forum.

For example, there's topics about new personal armor. But, why make a 4 o 5 levels of armor for the first time? Why many class of UFOs when you can separate the game in campaings (each one, a expansion set).

More specific:

First part (Final version of 2.X)

THE PHALANX RESURECTION
The storyline could be the alien first invasion, and the humanity response. In fact, no alien force (considering a human attack force over another civilization) would launch an attack with occasional UFOs flying over the enemy cities. So, the first part is just like an "defense testing of human capacity". This pack could have for objective, the anihilation of the alien earth main base on Antartica (proposal).

The after 2.X version:

THE ANTARTICA AFTERMATH
In this pack, the aliens change the tactics. More UFOS, new class of them, new aliens... The story: A focus on drestroy PHALANX and the appears of XVI as a tool for do it. It could finish with the almost defeat of PHALANX and humanity

THE FINAL BATTLE
For this one, the PHALANX think tanks discover a vaccine for the XVI, allowing the humans to push back the alien menace. It's discovered the origins of the aliens, and the packs end with the defeat of the alien invasion in a mayor battle on Earth and ultimately at the Alien planet.

These packs could be chapters of the history, with the same geoscape, motor, etc. The differences are in the tech tree, and the storyline. May be a new interface mod.... I leave this proposal for discussion.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Steps on UFO development.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:13:50 am »
Many games had expansion packs. I belive that if the UFO team concentrate on the basis of the game (the actual techs, ufos, etc.) and a basic storyline, its possible to make a final game. But only a first part. This allows to concentrate efforts to make the second one, with many ideas exposed in this forum.

Well, first off we already have a set and pretty much finalized storyline for the main campaign.

Second, the game, with its open source nature and easily altered data files (You don't need to be a C coder to read and edit the .ufo files which are in plain English and control many mechanics of gameplay) is easily modded and allows anyone to create their own alternate campaigns.

Third, we really need to get more of the main campaign together first before thinking about any additional ones or a sequel.

If you want to work on an alternate campaign or build a mod no one is going to stop you - You can discuss such a thing in that section of the forum.

odie

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:51:34 am »
Perhaps u might want to read this and this to understand more of the background to the storyline??

:D

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »
If you want to work on an alternate campaign or build a mod no one is going to stop you - You can discuss such a thing in that section of the forum.

Oh no no, i don't suggest new campaings. I suggest SEPARATE the actual work in order to accelerate a final version and relax the work on programmers. I know there is too much done, but reading "this and this"  i saw there's too much work for little quantity of people working. In fact, i will beging learning macromedia flash to make a proposal for the game intro (maya and 3dmax is very hard for my little time  ;D), so, i could do a little help.

It's only an idea for accelerate work. I know i can do mods to the game, but i like it as it is.  ;D

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »
btw is it the current intention to have some sort of proper ending to the game in the next release?

there were people who said in the forum they wanted an ending to the game, but i never quite understood the problem.
i don't see why ending is necessary, you have so many tactics and things to try out.
in my mind a proper ending could just be 'this is the end of current storyline. thank us for playing ufo-ai.' and that's it.

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:36 pm »
Well, actually, i played the 2.2.1. Suddenly, nothing happens... 1 month (game geoscape) and nothing. After that, a screen with "thanks for play...."

I think that a good game like this, needs a good end. If it not, why do a storyline? It was sufficient some scenarios, and a free alien shooting...

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 01:07:04 am »
I remember BTAxis and Winter saying that 2.3 would have a real ending instead of suddenly just saying "You completed the game. Thanks for playing!"

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:46:38 am »
An ending just gives a feeling of accomplishment of actually finishing something.  Doesn't have to be anything dramatic, but something that rewards you for a long campaign.  That said, I think in this type of project, an ending is a bonus, not a requirement.

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 04:24:34 am »
Yap, that's the point. It's a reward. Personaly, i like the long games. An end is not the purpose, but the fun for many days and maybe months. But, a game with storyline must have an end.

But, actually, i prefer a most stable and durable game than a wonderfull end  ;D

Offline Zukn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:51:14 am »
  A suitable end is planned, however you must build the foundations and walls before putting the roof on. :)

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 06:53:48 pm »
i see, i really am a very minor minority  :-X

odie

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 04:49:13 am »
  A suitable end is planned, however you must build the foundations and walls before putting the roof on. :)

Ah, i like this illustration - The base must be well built before building the level 2 and onwards, finally u put the good roof on! :D

Indeed, i think any good game should have their engines (skeletal framework) well done up, then the bits and pieces of fleshes pieced (the geas and ui), then the goodies and tune ups (the muscle and all), finally then the finishing touch (endings and cosmetic / asthetics).

:P

Well said Zukn!

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:34:37 am »
Yes, that is.

One question: In 2.2.1 is possible to research the whole tech tree?

odie

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 04:32:14 am »
Yes, that is.

One question: In 2.2.1 is possible to research the whole tech tree?

No, my dear.

In fact, even with 2.3 current development, its still not YET fully able to research the full tree, as some part of the section is still being worked on.

Esp vehicles, crafts and perhaps a 'final solution'? lol.
Dun tell u too much, but in general, 2.3 no possible (yet) whilst 2.2.1 is a further no. :D