project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Digin_BR Consepts, 3D Models and General Artwork  (Read 14005 times)

Digin_BR

Digin_BR Consepts, 3D Models and General Artwork
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:11 pm »
Hi and welcome to my 3D development thread.

Here i will upload my concept-arts, for with you are free to review and vote as good or bad for the game...depending on the votes, i will start working on the 3D models, that when ready, maybe will go in the game.

I will also upload here some general artwork, with includes promos, menus, icons, and whatever else as i make them...However, be aware that these uploads will not be so frequent, as my priority are the main concepts and theyr 3D models, and expect even less promos, as they require(at last mine promos) a hell lot of work.

------------------------------

PROJECTS UNDER WORK:
Stiletto remodel.
Combat UAV.

PROJECTS DONE:
Stiletto Class Interceptor PROMO1.
Stiletto Class Interceptor PROMO2. (less bulky version)

PROJECTS SLEEPING & GOING SLOW:
Interceptor projects/concepts drawings.

Stiletto Interceptor REMODEL

Status: Concept (1) aproved with few changes , model is WIP

Concept 1:

Concept 2(larger, visible tail in picture):

CUAV (Combat Unmanned Aerial Vehicle)

Model: (Still need textures)
---------

Name: Not yet decided, for now: Sparrow Class Interceptor.

PROJECT SLEEPING

Project:

Concept:

Name: Not yet decided, for now: Vulture Class Interceptor

PROJECT SLEEPING

Project:

Concept:

Name: Not yet decided, for now: Spark Class Interceptor

PROJECT SLEEPING

Project:

Concept:

Name: Not yet decided, for now: Lightning Class Interceptor

PROJECT SLEEPING

Project:

Concept:

Name: Not yet decided, for now: Thunderstorm Class Interceptor

PROJECT SLEEPING

Project:

Concept:
---

!!!TEXTURERS WANTED!!!
I dont work with textures as fast as i work in the projects and 3D models...actualy, textures are my weak point, usualy its responsible for half the delay on my projects.
So if your a texturer and isnt working at any projects, plz let me know! 2 texturers work faster than 1 alone!
!!!TEXTURERS WANTED!!!

Name ideas(and before you ask, yes, they are scientific/species names): "Leptodon", "Harpagus", "Elanus", "Hierax", "Ostrhamus", "Hamatus", "Accipiter", "Brachyurus", "Sarellus", "Spizaetus", "Cinereus")(Im saving "Morpheus" for the battleship...no need to sugest it... ;D)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:06:02 pm by Digin_BR »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Digin_BR Consepts, 3D Models and General Artwork
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:00:36 pm »
This is nice, the fact that you're offering quick concept art first - I've seen people come here and put a lot of work into a model only to have it not get used.

Winter is the remaining member of the development team that would approve or veto any new artwork, models, etc., although just FYI if he does veto anything for the main campaign, I'm sure you could still contribute anything you make for an alternate campaign or a mod.
Also, FYI since you're new here, please keep in mind anything offered needs a compatible license, GPL or Creative Commons, the less restrictive the better.

Regarding the first idea, as another FYI the aircraft should be capable of vertical take-off and landing, not needing a runway - not being an expert in aircraft I wouldn't know exactly how the features of a model would need to be done to reflect this.

Edit: As a side note, I've seen many confused players think the Stiletto is supposed to be a helicopter - I'm wondering if the Stiletto should be re-done to really be a helicopter, or just replaced with a new model, perhaps by something like this.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:04:11 pm by Destructavator »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »
It reminds me to the Hyperion...

Check the Hyperion thread. Quite long but worths it. Sitters' models are awesome!

-geever

Digin_BR

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:10:31 pm »
yea...reminds hyperion to me too...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »
That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be vastly different from the Hyperion, many modern fighter jets I've seen pictures of don't look dramatically different from each other.

Digin_BR

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:37:19 pm »
yea, i notice that too...and talking aboult that, i was already thinking of a project based on SU-47 (wings forwarded)...but its still only on mind, so no hope to upload it before tomorow night...(as i am a little busy right now)

also, i shall be finishing an UFO project tonight...upload tonight or tomorow...making it with a better preview-look...takes more time but makes the final result much more predictable, as it suggests the textures and shadowing(light/shiny areas and not-shiny areas)...

EDIT: and also, im already working on a nice promo for the Stiletto...still, it will take a long-long time before its ready...3 weeks at last, for a releaceable quality...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:50:19 pm by Digin_BR »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »
!!!TEXTURERS WANTED!!!
I dont work with textures as fast as i work in the projects and 3D models...actualy, textures are my weak point, usualy its responsible for half the delay on my projects.
So if your a texturer and isnt working at any projects, plz let me know! 2 texturers work faster than 1 alone!

I can help here.  If you make a model that gets approved, I can try to texture it - I'm also working on other stuff at the same time, but I can make some time to help in this area.

Digin_BR

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »
I can help here.  If you make a model that gets approved, I can try to texture it - I'm also working on other stuff at the same time, but I can make some time to help in this area.

ok...but let me add a few more projects (the ones i am already working into and already thinking into)...then i will start work on the APs (Advanced Previews) and the 3D models...AP for the "Sparrow" is already WIP...will be ready and uploaded tomorow night or not, depends if i will have class or not tomorow morning (final tests for the semester finished yesterday, today was tests for who lost any, tomorow is probably council of class, so i think i will be able to work it in the morning as i was able today's)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »
Okay, let me clarify . . .

We're not looking for more interceptors, dropships, or even UFOs, apart from ones that have already been named and given a specific place and purpose in the game, which their models should reflect. Unfortunately for those reasons we won't be able to use these models.

Also, we're not exactly flush with texturers -- it's highly doubtful you're going to find anyone to do your models up for you.

That's the negative bits done with. What we do want and need is UAV models. We still need a model for a pre-invasion combat UAV, and (at most) two more, incorporating increasing levels of alien technology. If you could help us out in that area it would be far more valuable.

Regards,
Winter

Digin_BR

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:18:14 pm »
Okay, let me clarify . . .

We're not looking for more interceptors, dropships, or even UFOs, apart from ones that have already been named and given a specific place and purpose in the game, which their models should reflect. Unfortunately for those reasons we won't be able to use these models.

Also, we're not exactly flush with texturers -- it's highly doubtful you're going to find anyone to do your models up for you.

That's the negative bits done with. What we do want and need is UAV models. We still need a model for a pre-invasion combat UAV, and (at most) two more, incorporating increasing levels of alien technology. If you could help us out in that area it would be far more valuable.

Regards,
Winter

-------------------

i knew that already winter, im working on these projects for mods or maybe long-future implementation...

Aboult textures: im not searching for a slave to do my texturing for me, i want someone to work in the textures of one model at the same time i work into another model (double time texturing, comes from my "Mount&Blade" modding time) and thats why i asked him to let me do the APs 1st...so he knows how is the texture (or idea of texture) he will have to do and he can accept or regect the work...

and i didnt intended to grab a texturer working on the urgent projects, thats why i asked "if your a texturer and isnt working at any projects, ...".

----------------------

i didnt knew you were searching for UAVs...ill start working on it imediately...and so, destructavator, forget aboult any releace previewed for tomorow...ill finish and upload those by the weekend...UAV is for tomorow (3d model).

----------------------

EDIT:
Model is done....sent winter some questions via PM too...
model: MOVED TO STARTING POST

----------------------

question: how many polys may i use? i see most the models are low-poly, so i presume it must be low-poly...but givme an averange/optimum, so i dont screw up the work on the propultion engines...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:18:03 pm by Digin_BR »

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 03:31:02 am »
VTOL capability usually requires engine nozzles that can either be turned and pointed both towards the ground and towards the back (Harrier and that fighter from GTA:SA) or fixed nozzles that point straight down. Other possibility is using a rotateable main nozzle (or two) much like the Stiletto.
And BTW, I think UACV is the official name a combat UAV would have.

Offtopic: Also Winter, hasn't there been talk about Stiletto needing some work on its model because it has been too small when compared to the weaponry it's supposed to have?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 04:11:30 am »
...and i seen you were searching for a replacement for the nanocomposite armor and for models for advanced armor...i am working on these models already...

I've actually got some basic new soldier models almost done, although just for basic armor at this point, not for the advanced armor, because the existing old models don't work with the planned new animations.  If you want to do advanced armors, I'd suggest waiting a day or two while I finish up the ones I've been working on, and let me upload the Blender file so you can take a look at it.  This would allow you to create new models with more advanced armor that have some consistency with the newer basic ones, so we don't end up with new models that don't match at all.

I'm almost done with the Blender file I've been working on, just need to touch up a few things, then I'll upload it.  It also contains all the camouflage material textures, so that part will also be consistent.  I can probably have it uploaded sometime tomorrow or the day after.

If you look a few threads back you can see screenshots of older versions of the models and camo textures I've been working on.

Side note:  Do you use Blender or something else for your modeling?  If it is something else, I can export the files before I upload them.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 06:43:18 am »
question: how many polys may i use? i see most the models are low-poly, so i presume it must be low-poly...but givme an averange/optimum, so i dont screw up the work on the propultion engines...

You can use more polygons nowadays as we are using an improved and faster renderer now. you can even deliver different lods for your models and i will implement lod rendering for models (i planned that before already, but we don't have models that support it).

if you deliver lod models, please deliver them as seperate files if you are using md2 or pack them into one md3 (animation == only md2 at the moment)

to say a number for normal ships - you can use 2000 polygons for ships (that's just a rough guess, it can be even more i suppose)

btw. what is the license you release your work under? is gpl 2.0 or later ok for you? also please don't forget to upload your source files when you are done with them (for textures [layered] and models please).

and last but not least: thanks for your work.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 08:28:18 am »
Offtopic: Also Winter, hasn't there been talk about Stiletto needing some work on its model because it has been too small when compared to the weaponry it's supposed to have?

I'm definitely open to a redesign on the Stiletto, it's an awkward shape for the weaponry it's supposed to carry and the speed it's supposed to travel. I like the look of the thing but it's just not right. And that's exactly the reason why we're very careful about accepting new art.

Regards,
Winter

Digin_BR

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 07:07:26 pm »
i was already working on an PROMO for the stiletto...but i was making it diferent from the actual model (the stiletto as i think it was gonna be in real life)...i hurried up a little so it act not only as promo but as project too...

of course its not a 100% remodel, as it was primarily a PROMO, based on the stiletto model, but it stills be diferent and with the problem on weapons solved...(as you can see, there is room the the weapons it carry ingame)

so here it goes, hope you all like the promo, and maybe, the project:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:12:03 pm by Digin_BR »