project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: size of SVN checkout?  (Read 16674 times)

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
size of SVN checkout?
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:34:49 pm »
what is the current size of a fresh SVN Checkout?

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: size of SVN checkout?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:43:11 pm »
Windows Vista states my SVN folder size as 1,49 GB.

odie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »
Windows Vista states my SVN folder size as 1,49 GB.

Well, its actually less than 1.49GB.

Another Guy, if u are checking your SVN folder, u will see that your compiled maps (*.bsp) and some other game files (which are not indicated by your TSVN as 'green' or 'red') are a result of your CB compilation and maybe even NSIS compilation.

The actual checkout is smaller than the 1.49GB. :D

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »
U right. *.bsp (map compiles not included on SVN) are 591 MB size. Compiled binaries r irrelevant (little more than 6 MB altogheter). Copying .dlls from contrib folder into main dir adds further 4.4 MBs.
1.49 was the size of my folder before compiling the maps. My total folder size now is 2.13 GB.

However, if the initial post question was not about the final folder size, but the download size, that would be 1.49GB/2 (750MB), because TortoiseSVN seems to keep a copy of every folder files on the .svn folders.

odie

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:40:17 pm »
U right. *.bsp (map compiles not included on SVN) are 591 MB size. Compiled binaries r irrelevant (little more than 6 MB altogheter). Copying .dlls from contrib folder into main dir adds further 4.4 MBs.
1.49 was the size of my folder before compiling the maps. My total folder size now is 2.13 GB.

However, if the initial post question was not about the final folder size, but the download size, that would be 1.49GB/2 (750MB), because TortoiseSVN seems to keep a copy of every folder files on the .svn folders.

Yupz, that is sorta technically correct. They keep the files in hidden / system files .svn in every checkout folder, tat is if u r using TSVN.

And on the bsp, if u r rebuilding maps, u could do what i usually do before i execute compile_maps.bat /clean -> I manually search out all *.bsp files and delete em. Yupz. :D

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:23:07 pm »
Last time I checked Tortoise SVN also has a clean-up option to delete older backed-up versions of files, so if you've updated your working SVN copy many times you can purge all the old versions of files that have been updated/replaced and reduce the folder size.

odie

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:24:50 am »
Last time I checked Tortoise SVN also has a clean-up option to delete older backed-up versions of files, so if you've updated your working SVN copy many times you can purge all the old versions of files that have been updated/replaced and reduce the folder size.

Hi Destructavator,

I believe that the clean-up option was more for interrupted partial updates - where u cannot do another 'synchronise' or update due to interruptions / timeouts. Correct me if i am wrong, cos thats what it seemed to be for me when i have timeouts / interruptions, and TSVN tells me to do a cleanup to fix the problem.

As for the clean up of old versions..... may i know where that option is pls? :P I do not seem to be able to find that option..... (and yes, i have updated my copy every day, except the last 3 4 where i have been dead like a fish out of water - on my bed).....

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 03:48:52 pm »
I may have been wrong - I'm not an expert at SVN or the Tortoise SVN program - I just remember a while back when I had a huge folder after updating many times, and I found an option that cleared old versions of files and cut the folder size down to less than half...

I'll have to double check on this point when I get a chance...

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:57:15 pm »
bah,  I have yet to sucessully get a full checkout.   Keeps crapping out mid update,  refusing to update certain files.  Or TSVN's latest trick is to just outright crash!   yikes!   I've tried to find out how to fix the specif error i get and everything suggests it's server side.  but i'm the only one having issues...

ah well.....
all i can think to try and do is see if someone will zip up the troublesome directories and include the hidden SVN dir's when they do it. and then they can either drop it on my web hosting or email it to me or something....

all i can think to try.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:49:54 pm »
You can go to Sourceforge, find the project page for UFO:AI, go to the SVN online browser, and for the trunk click on "Download Tarball" or something - I forget off-hand exactly what it says - but with that option you can directly download the whole trunk in a compressed, packaged file.

I'd recommend 7zip to un-compress it, as the standard built-in .zip decompression of Windows won't handle it, and WinZIP is quite frankly bloated crap compared to 7zip and other alternatives.  (Although to be fair, I haven't tried any recent version of WinZIP to review it, I've refused to touch it for some time...)

With this method you don't need Tortoise SVN or any other special program to get the SVN trunk copy, except the utility I just mentioned to decompress it.

The downside is that you can't use this method to update automatically, you have to download the whole big thing all over again to get an updated copy.

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 12:22:43 pm »
ok i give up.   on my crappy 8KB/s DL connection i can't take the time to DL the whole thing in one go.   can someone zip up base\models\aircraft and either post it where i can get it or you can try and email it to me at XphilroiX@XgmailX.XcomX  (take out the X's)  though I don't know if gmail will let a file that big  go through as an attachemnt.

just make sure that you include the hidden SVN folders in the zip.   I am hoping i can manually update these files and get SVN to think they are ok and pass them over.  I'll need the updated SVN folders to convince them of that.  just adding the file dosen't work because TSVN dosen't have SVN information for the file and so tried to download a copy from the trunk and replace it.

odie

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 05:37:57 am »
ok i give up.   on my crappy 8KB/s DL connection i can't take the time to DL the whole thing in one go.   can someone zip up base\models\aircraft and either post it where i can get it or you can try and email it to me at XphilroiX@XgmailX.XcomX  (take out the X's)  though I don't know if gmail will let a file that big  go through as an attachemnt.

just make sure that you include the hidden SVN folders in the zip.   I am hoping i can manually update these files and get SVN to think they are ok and pass them over.  I'll need the updated SVN folders to convince them of that.  just adding the file dosen't work because TSVN dosen't have SVN information for the file and so tried to download a copy from the trunk and replace it.

Eloz PhilRoi,

I am in the midst of sending the attachment to u. Its zipped up (~11MB after archiving the 41MB files).

U will need 7zip to unzip it (and it might take a while since i used ultra compression ratio resulting in more maths algorithms).

Let me know if it did not arrives at ur email ok? I've sent it to: XphilroiX@XgmailX.XcomX yupz, w/o all the Xs.

PS: Give it abt 10 mins or so from now (11.37am +8GMT). Its still uploading, and i thnk it might take another bit of time to refresh such a file onto the server, since i am in asia and u r probably in the states.

odie

How to Remove .SVN Files from TSVN
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 05:55:09 am »
I may have been wrong - I'm not an expert at SVN or the Tortoise SVN program - I just remember a while back when I had a huge folder after updating many times, and I found an option that cleared old versions of files and cut the folder size down to less than half...

I'll have to double check on this point when I get a chance...

Okie Destructavator,

I found it! Yayness!

Share it with all of us who are using TSVN here:

unversion a working copy
Sat, 2008-09-13 06:40 — Stefan

A lot of people asked on our mailing lists how they can "unversion a working copy", "detach/unlink a working copy from the repository", "remove files from version control" or something like that. All those questions lead to the users wanting to remove the hidden .svn folders inside every Subversion working copy.

Usually, you want a "clean copy" of your versioned files for zipping, archiving, ...
The command in Subversion to do that is "Export". Exporting a working copy or a repository url will create a copy of all your files, but without those .svn folders. But the export command creates a copy, it does not remove the .svn folders from an existing working copy. Which is what most users want.

But some users really want to just make a working copy unversioned. Searching the web you can find a lot of users posting scripts which scan a path recursively and delete all those .svn folders. But if you have TortoiseSVN installed, that isn't needed:

TortoiseSVN has a little known feature built in which can do exactly that: it removes all .svn folders automatically. So where can you find that feature?
Use the "Export" command! But hey, didn't I just tell you that the export command creates a copy of the files in your working copy and doesn't change your original working copy? So how can the export command remove the .svn folders from an existing working copy?
Simple: when you right-click on a working copy and choose "Export..." from the context menu, a folder browse dialog is shown where you can choose the folder where you want the working copy exported to. If you now select the very same path that your working copy is on as the target (i.e., you're exporting the working copy onto itself), TortoiseSVN will remove all .svn folders of that working copy.

Another way to do this is by right-dragging the working copy onto itself. The Explorer doesn't allow dragging items onto themselves in the same window though, so you must either use a second Explorer window or drag onto the tree view as shown in the animation below:

Sources - How to Remove SVN directories from your TSVN Checkout
Copyright - Picture demo from TSVN site.

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:03:41 pm »
Eloz PhilRoi,

I am in the midst of sending the attachment to u. Its zipped up (~11MB after archiving the 41MB files).

U will need 7zip to unzip it (and it might take a while since i used ultra compression ratio resulting in more maths algorithms).

Let me know if it did not arrives at ur email ok? I've sent it to: XphilroiX@XgmailX.XcomX yupz, w/o all the Xs.

PS: Give it abt 10 mins or so from now (11.37am +8GMT). Its still uploading, and i thnk it might take another bit of time to refresh such a file onto the server, since i am in asia and u r probably in the states.
odie you rock!

actually you and I are on the same continent.  I'm in afghanistan,  My internet is via Satellite and i think it hits the hardwire Internet in hong kong.   so you and I are netwise not as far as you think.

that directory passes SVN check.  no more crashing.  I managed to update several hundred megs more before it crapped out in base\sound\ambience.  are you willing to shoot me that one?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:01:47 pm by PhilRoi »

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:08 am »
Complete map compile today took exat 60 minutes (R25029).