project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to use medikit ?  (Read 16836 times)

johnsonf

How to use medikit ?
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:00:10 am »
Hi

Who can show me to use the medikit step by stpe please ? My problem is that I put it on my right hand (right-down cornor of screen) and press the "aim" button. But the medikit is thrown to another guy's floor.

Where can I put the medikit when I want to use it ? in right hand or left hand ?

What button should I press after I place a medikit on the right poistion ?

Thanks alot.

ralthor

Re: How to use medikit ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 05:35:31 am »
You should be able to use it in the left or the right hand.  Are you using the 2.2.1 version?

I know in the 2.3 dev version when you click the aim button (scope icon thing) you have two options, one is heal and one is throw.  Select heal and you can heal anyone adjacent.  I think it is the same in 2.2.1.

johnsonf

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »
Thanks. my file is ufoai-2.2.1-win32.exe

I remove weapon and hold medikit on left hand. Then I can use it by pressing "AIM" button.

Sirine

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:10:39 am »
You should be able to use it in the left or the right hand.  Are you using the 2.2.1 version?

I know in the 2.3 dev version when you click the aim button (scope icon thing) you have two options, one is heal and one is throw.  Select heal and you can heal anyone adjacent.  I think it is the same in 2.2.1.

How about healing ourself? How?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:07:18 pm »
How about healing ourself? How?

I think it's not possible.

-geever

Sirine

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:40 pm »
I think it's not possible.

-geever

Why? and Why not?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 02:41:13 pm »
Because it's not coded. :)
I think it's working like firing and you can't aim to yourself. I don't know if this change in the future.

-geever

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:28:26 pm »
speaking as both a Soldier and EMT.    Self-Aid on the battlefield is currently very limited.   All the medical supplies we carry as soldiers as "personal" first-aid kits really just represent the 6 or 7 most commonly used aid items.  We carry them not to use on ourselves but so someone else can use them on us without depleting their own supply. medic aid bags really have little in them to treat more then 1 or 2 injuries and a few specialized items.  A medic depends on your personal kits in the event of serious trauma.   Problems with pain, confusion from shock, blood loss, physical incapacity due to injury really all combine to prevent adequate self-aid at the level self treatment with med-kits would allow in the game.

besides having to think tactically about medical care and making sure you can cover each other with buddy aid makes for a more challenging tactical experience.  is it a pain sometimes?  yeah... but its not a huge problem if you think about it a little bit. Soldiers have relied on the buddy system for ages for many reasons. gives the enemy someone else to shoot at is one, Medical care is another.

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 07:49:34 pm »
i think it mainly boils down to that it's kinda hard to heal yourself with a medikit when you've just been shot by an alien weapon. 

Sirine

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:53:57 am »
Because it's not coded. :)
I think it's working like firing and you can't aim to yourself. I don't know if this change in the future.
-geever

Agree with -greever.

In reality if you wounded, and you have a medikit.... and nobody around...do you use it? I will...

ChunLing

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:50 am »
The question is whether you can, not whether you would.  I think that we can posit that any DIY first aid available is automatically done by the wounded soldiers, but using a medkit on yourself isn't sufficiently simple to qualify.  Of course, maybe if you just gave wounded soldiers ability score penalties sufficient to put them mostly out of action, which would be pretty realistic, then it would remove the problem that way.

Sirine

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:35 am »
I just stick with [geever]'s ideal. It just not coded. The coding for applying somthing on oneself...
-Medik, camo, boost,... Is actually...not that easy...
Maybe just leave it like that, until somebody coded it....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:34:23 pm by Sirine »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 01:59:08 pm »
Hey I didn't take side in this debate I just said the truth, it's not coded [dot].
@Sirine, please forget that extra 'r' in my nick. ;)

-geever

Sirine

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 04:33:46 pm »
Opps...sorry about that... removing the extra "r". -done.

I'm not arguing anything...just asking why, and I've got my answer...I'm happy with that. ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:35:42 pm by Sirine »

odie

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 05:34:28 am »
Interesting.... i was wondering abt this myself.....

Was wondering if its difficult to code something for usage on yourself? (A bit like UFO : Enemy Unknown).

Nothing to insist here, but if i am a soldier on field with FAD on hand, and i have a bad bleed, i would bandage myself. :D