project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Hover Robot Concepts  (Read 4088 times)

feanix

Alien Hover Robot Concepts
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:37:12 am »
When I saw that you guys needed a model for a hovering alien probe I could resist drawing up a few concepts. I had this image of seeing it slowly drifting into a room you're hiding in, slowly, methodically hunting you out. In particular I wanted a really sinister sillouette, something that would make you look at it for the first time and say "What the hell is that thing?!"

I always found the machines in the matrix to have that super creepy, spiny, alien look to them. I should point at that this is entire a mechanical robot even though parts of it look organic its simply just very very complex.

The first one ended up looking a bit cutesy to me so I did another one where i really ramped up the sinister effect. The first is also more conventional to human engineering whereas the second one is far more crazy looking.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Hover Robot Concepts
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:12:40 pm »
The top of the first one immediately reminded me of Buck Rogers. I like the second one, though it's probably too tall to come off right. How about using the first one's body with the second one's head?

feanix

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:27:07 pm »
Well the second one is basically the same as the first without the bell skirt thingy and a different head.

I think the 2nd would look very weird but isnt that kinda good. For it to move around in a eery, creepy way that defies understanding?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:12:01 pm »
Yeah. It's just that it's going to have to fit in the 1x1 cell, so if you keep that in mind it could well turn out too small to resemble anything if you don't look at it closely. It's important its characteristics are apparent even from a normal gameplay camera.

feanix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:21 pm »
Yeah. It's just that it's going to have to fit in the 1x1 cell, so if you keep that in mind it could well turn out too small to resemble anything if you don't look at it closely. It's important its characteristics are apparent even from a normal gameplay camera.

Is a 1x1 cell the same size as a human? Should be okay if that's the case.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:03:21 pm »
Is a 1x1 cell the same size as a human? Should be okay if that's the case.

yes it is the same size as a human

feanix

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:13:40 pm »
In that case it seems to just be a matter of aesthetics. I'll go ahead and model (possibly rig and animate, but I still fairly new at those two) if Winter and BTaxis sign off on the look of it.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:39:48 pm »
Except if it's supposed to hover you can't use the full cell as you need to have an appreciable space between the floor and the bottom of the model.

feanix

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:30:51 pm »
So no go on this one?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:36:53 pm »
Not saying that, just making sure you don't run into any surprises down the road. It's your call though.