project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Animations  (Read 26252 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Animations
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 10:52:22 pm »
Here's a "ready" pose (standing but alert and prepared to shoot or move to go after an alien) with the assault rifle - did I get the scale of the weapon right?  (I'm still adjusting the pose, but if the weapon scale needs to be changed I'll have to also change the pose).

...please also make sure to add some wiki article someday about exporting with blender (animations + tags and all the other stuff)

Yes, I didn't forget about that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:19:59 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 12:23:52 am »
OK, I've done idle/ready positions and movement (crouch-walking and normal walking) for empty hands and rifle movements.

This is fun - it also ate up a lot of my day without me noticing, but I got quite a bit done.

At this rate I should have all the standard animations about done in roughly a week, and then I'll hand it all to vedrit to criticize and tear apart...

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 12:37:25 am »
lol
You have done well, my young apprentice.
Yeah, hours can fly by when ya get in the zone.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 12:51:14 am »
lol
You have done well, my young apprentice.
Yeah, hours can fly by when ya get in the zone.

Thanks!

I've committed the unfinished files to the data source, along with exported TAGs and the MD2 if you (or anyone) want to play with them.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 03:19:03 am »
did the comit include the source animation files? (The skeleton without the model, key-frames included)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 04:19:13 am »
did the comit include the source animation files? (The skeleton without the model, key-frames included)

Yes, there should be a .zip file in that folder as well with a .blend file inside with everything I've put together so far.

http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/models/characters/destructavator/unfinished/

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 07:00:15 am »
Update: Found a few stupid mistakes in the animations after I uploaded that, I'll upload corrections later (tomorrow) after I fix the flickering in-game which I just figured out the cause of.

Sorry if that's unclear, its late for me, good night...

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:55 pm »
Here's a "ready" pose (standing but alert and prepared to shoot or move to go after an alien) with the assault rifle - did I get the scale of the weapon right?
hm... i would hold the weapon a bit more to the ground like in the "low ready position".
http://www.everycitizenasoldier.org/id16.html

and if the soldier shoots an other position is needed.

anyway: great progress.

happy new year ^^.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:31:41 pm by Bartleby »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 01:14:01 pm »
hm... i would hold the weapon a bit more to the ground like in the "low ready position".
http://www.everycitizenasoldier.org/id16.html

and if the soldier shoots an other position is needed.

anyway: great progress.

happy new year ^^.

I guess it depends on if the player's units are to operate more like soldier-style or law-enforcement/SWAT style.  Law enforcement and SWAT that I've seen (and I have actually seen a real SWAT exercise first-hand before, from my old job) commonly have weapons up and ready to shoot right away while moving through halls, around corners and such.  (And regarding corners, there is actually a method of moving around them safely without giving away one's presence by having their weapon visible first, actually several ways of doing it, one of the old-but-worthy methods called "slicing the pie" IIRC among other techniques.)

Soldiers, on the other hand, can't constantly be all tensed-up and ready to shoot at any second all the time I'm guessing because they deploy into areas where they may be in hostile territory for long periods of time, days, weeks, months, or longer, etc.  By comparison SWAT units work in relatively short, quick operations and then it is over.  I'm not going to claim to be a military expert as I've never been in the military, and I admit I know more about law enforcement by comparison, but given that the UFO: AI missions are supposed to be quick and short-term (Phalanx units don't hang around for months at a target site) I would imagine they would conduct the short missions at least a little bit more like SWAT would, moving carefully and ready for action at any second.

EDIT:  ...And by the way, I've actually already fixed the "ready" pose and plan to tweak it a little more anyways, but I was really more concerned with the scale of the weapon model, if I got it right.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:16:16 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 02:45:14 pm »
with the swat positions u are right. hm... havent thought about that.
EDIT:  ...And by the way, I've actually already fixed the "ready" pose and plan to tweak it a little more anyways, but I was really more concerned with the scale of the weapon model, if I got it right.
compared to this picture the weaponsize looks right:
http://www.whq-forum.de/cms/typo3temp/pics/48bd1f2869.jpg
still i dont know why i think its a bit too big. maybe because older weapons were smaller or more gracile.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:58:18 am by Bartleby »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 02:53:26 pm »
...compared to picutes the weaponsize looks right:
http://www.whq-forum.de/cms/typo3temp/pics/48bd1f2869.jpg
still i dont know why i think its a bit too big. maybe because older weapons were smaller or more gracile.

Actually, with the old models the in-game weapons are in some cases huge IMO.  That and the old soldier models have funky proportions that are a bit off, and in a way look more "cartoon-like" in a way to me.

With these screenshots of the new soldier model, the rifle was imported without any scaling, just 1:1, and in the game the current scaling is 1.25 for the assault rifle.

I think that when the time comes to replace all the old soldier models, all the weapons and some items will certainly need to be re-scaled.

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2010, 08:56:59 am »
hm.. sry. i mean "old" weapons like old in 25 years ago and not the old model. also on pictures above i thaught the weapons might be minimal too big. scale 0.97 possible?

but ure right with the huge guns in-game. atm they are also huge =).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:00:35 am by Bartleby »

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 12:16:08 pm »
I agree on "huge guns" in game. Especially the heavy needler is HUGE, it looks more like an atomic battery. :)

I think the assault rifle in the pictures has the right scale.

Andy

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:34 pm »
This is a general note: My college classes started (Actually started Monday), so what time I had is now whittled down even further. Destructavator has show he can do stuff, so Im not worried about the new models being put on hold.
Destructavator, when you want me to check the animations, I'll be sure to put some time aside, watch it, and tell ya what I think

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 10:33:36 pm »
This is a general note: My college classes started (Actually started Monday), so what time I had is now whittled down even further. Destructavator has show he can do stuff, so Im not worried about the new models being put on hold.
Destructavator, when you want me to check the animations, I'll be sure to put some time aside, watch it, and tell ya what I think

OK, thanks.

I've been working on "fattening up" the model so it doesn't look so scrawny and other stuff, slow but sure.