project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Animations  (Read 26253 times)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Animations
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 09:24:44 am »
I think that would be done with the regular 2-handed firing motion from the hip, unless its HUGE, which would be unreasonable.
On the otherhand, that does make me think of using high-powered weapons, like a bazooka or high-powered shotgun, where the kick would be strong

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 11:31:08 am »
Quick correction: Bazookas don't have any kick since the exhaust fumes leave the tube from the other end. If it had kick (the end was sealed), I'm pretty sure nobody could keep hold of it. Also if I understand correctly, the best way to "absord" the kick is to fire it from the shoulder with stock kept as firmly as possible at the shoulder.
The 2-handed hip position could knock you out of your feet with a strong recoil but on the other hand a recoil like that could possibly be dangerous if fired from shoulder.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 02:10:45 am »
True, though you have to admit, it has more kick that an M-4 or other rifle, and would therefore need a special animation.

flexo

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 07:43:51 am »
This is obviously ultimately actually a feature request, but I'd so love to strafe...

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 08:50:49 am »
True, that would more be in feature request, but it does have something to do with animations.
However, considering the game set up, I dont really see how much use strafing can be. Some would say that it saves TUs from having to turn and face different directions, but, another request, running is faster (Not implimented, and so is not on the list), so your really only losing TUs by strafing.

Though, having said that running isnt in the game, it might be a good replacement for walking, in a game where every last TU counts

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:19 am »
Beggining animations

List of completed animations

Walk (Re-worked it, and now it is much better. Smoother, and slower, though its still 2 steps/second. Frames 2-28. To frame 30 ends in standing.)
Crouch (This proved to be quite simple, actually. Works forwards and backwards (For crouching and standing). Frames 31-121)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:29:33 am by vedrit »

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 06:19:57 am »
the crouching walk is proving to be very painful...it doesnt want to look right

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 06:43:00 am »
the crouching walk is proving to be very painful...it doesnt want to look right

If you really have to, you're welcome to adjust/tweak the skeleton bones in edit mode, if that will help - But if you do so please email me the .blend file with the updated skeleton (or upload it somewhere where I can grab it), so I have the updated source file.  I would then also update the SVN file in the data source.

The same goes for changing the groups that verts are in (which bones they move with, weight, etc.) if this is necessary.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 05:27:21 am »
its not the bones thats the issue. Its that as I work on the cycle, it just doesnt look right. Its all asthetics in animation; it doesnt have to be how it actually moves to look right.
If you want some practice on animating, you can do the crouch, lol. I have a set of frames sectioned off for it

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 06:29:31 am »
Sure, I could certainly use experience animating, its something I've been itching to try.

Please send me what you have so far, I'd like to study the animations you've already completed to get an idea of how to best go about it.

(If the working file is too big too email or upload somewhere, you could send just the skeleton armature without all the other content and I could then import and re-attach it.)

I don't know if I've said this before, but once this model gets fully animated it shouldn't be too difficult to import the animated skeleton into future models with just a few tweaks and adjustments here and there, so I'm guessing the bulk of the animating work would really only need to be done once.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 07:46:59 pm »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:54:53 pm by vedrit »

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 10:07:01 am »
good thing I uploaded the animation file. Didnt even think of it when I was saving files from a clean OS installation

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 04:41:41 pm »
how's the stuff coming along?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »
Ha!  I did it!  I touched up the crouch walk, exported the whole thing to MD2 and tested the stand, regular walk, and crouch walk in-game, and they look great!

@vedrit:  If it's OK, I'd like to try more animations, then perhaps later you could "proofread" them if I put up some video clips of the animations in action?  BTW, if you've got that PM I sent, I've updated and fixed the crouch walk since then.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »
cool - great news - please also make sure to add some wiki article someday about exporting with blender (animations + tags and all the other stuff)