project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Was wondering if anyone else had the same thought...  (Read 3389 times)

Raethen

Was wondering if anyone else had the same thought...
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:53:03 am »
I was thinking as i was playing UFO: AI that, with a tweaked ruleset and some modifications, it would make an excellent Swords & Sorcery type roleplaying game. I was just wondering if anyone else had thought the same thing.

Not sure how one would handle this, lord knows i'm no good at programming or making maps (i can design them on paper, but making them in 3d stumps me.) but the style of play just seems to fit, like a more complex version of the old AD&D gold box games.

Oh, and on a closing note, UFO: AI is an incredible experience and i'm having more fun with it than i did with the original Xcom, I am eagerly (but patiently) awaiting v2.3, your hard work is much appreciated, and i'll try to help if i can find a place where my skills can be used.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Was wondering if anyone else had the same thought...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:44:45 am »
Welcome to UFO:AI

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:05:09 am »
The map editor actually has a feature for overlaying an image to the 2D panels, so you can make a 3D map from a blueprint.

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:13:39 am »
I was thinking as i was playing UFO: AI that, with a tweaked ruleset and some modifications, it would make an excellent Swords & Sorcery type roleplaying game. I was just wondering if anyone else had thought the same thing.

Not sure how one would handle this, lord knows i'm no good at programming or making maps (i can design them on paper, but making them in 3d stumps me.) but the style of play just seems to fit, like a more complex version of the old AD&D gold box games.

Oh, and on a closing note, UFO: AI is an incredible experience and i'm having more fun with it than i did with the original Xcom, I am eagerly (but patiently) awaiting v2.3, your hard work is much appreciated, and i'll try to help if i can find a place where my skills can be used.

I had the exact same thought :D My attempts to mod this game is an exercise to do a total conversion mod. Maybe some kind of adventure game at first but my main goal is to make a Master of Orion 2 clone in real time. The engine, that UFO:AI provides now, would be almost perfect for that.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:41:43 am »
Er, no it wouldn't. Master of Orion is a totally different game, and UFO:AI doesn't really lend itself well for it. For one thing, the only real-time part in the game is the geoscape, and that isn't even 2D (the 2D geoscape notwithstanding. It isn't "real" 2D as movement speeds differ depending on how close to the equator you are).

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:56:16 pm »
Er, no it wouldn't. Master of Orion is a totally different game, and UFO:AI doesn't really lend itself well for it. For one thing, the only real-time part in the game is the geoscape, and that isn't even 2D (the 2D geoscape notwithstanding. It isn't "real" 2D as movement speeds differ depending on how close to the equator you are).

That would have to be changed :>

MoO2 was a different game but I do not want to clone it bit by bit. A combination of both would suit me fine. It is probably not achievable by me and my rusty C++ knowledge but I can dream :)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:25:27 pm »
wow moo2 and xcom in the same thread.. 2 of my all time favorite games.... :-) make me smile guys make me smile

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:37:42 pm »
@Raethen:
Nice idea :) I don't know of any fantasy game with tactical mission like UFO.
But you could probably reuse less than 10% of UFO:AI's code, scripts, art and maps.
If I was to create such a game, I would certainly start from scratch.