project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Argh, cant run  (Read 3785 times)

Elias_Maluco

Argh, cant run
« on: July 29, 2006, 06:17:03 pm »
Hi all. Im trying to run this game on Suse 10.0 64bits. Excuse me if Im doing something stupid here, Im a li9nux newbie.

So, I donwloaded the linux installer, runned it and it did installed the game, altough I got this error message during the installation:

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkEntry'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkentry.c: line 534 (gtk_entry_get_text): assertion `entry != NULL' failed.

After installing, Ive tried to run it and got this error:

linux:/home/jogos/uai # ufo-bin
Adding game dir: ./base
using /root/.ufoai/base/ for writing
Adding game dir: /root/.ufoai/base
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec config.cfg
execing keys.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
Using Alsa
Using sounddevice "default" - if you have problems with this try to set the cvar                                                                           snddevice to a appropriate alsa-devicesound sampling rate: 48000
------------------------------------
------- Loading ref_glx.so -------
LoadLibrary("ref_glx.so"): can't open /etc/ufo.conf - setting search path to .
LoadLibrary("ref_glx.so") failed: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object                                                                           file: No such file or directory
Dumped console text to /root/.ufoai/base/gl_debug.txt.
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't initialize OpenGL renderer!
Consult gl_debug.txt for further information.

So, what can be the problem? Ive trying googling it and got no results. Also can find any info about that "libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0" library.

I have a 7600GT with latest drivers properly installed. Maybe is becouse Im trying to run it on a 64 bits system? Should I give up on the installer and try to compile the game from the source?

Any help will be much apreciated. Being an old fan of X-COM series, Im really looking forward to play this game. So please help me here!

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Argh, cant run
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 07:23:09 pm »
For the sound, if there will be any problems try changing it to sdl  (in the Options menu) and changin the sampling rate.

For video you can try

./ufo +set vid_ref sdl

but probably the lack of  libSDL_ttf is to blame. Just install it. :)

BTW, does quake2 run on your machine?

Elias_Maluco

Argh, cant run
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 07:36:58 pm »
but probably the lack of libSDL_ttf is to blame. Just install it.  

BTW, does quake2 run on your machine?

Well, never tried it. I will try insatlling this lib, thanks for your help.

Elias_Maluco

Argh, cant run
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 07:56:10 pm »
Ok, just installed "libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0", compiled from source. However, Im still getting the same error. Any more ideas? Maybe I found a bug?

Elias_Maluco

Argh, cant run
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:17:41 pm »
Oh, forget about it. I will just install the windows version. This will be just another entry in my forever growing list of software I cat get  to work in linux. Just has a side note: is silly to think that linux will ever be popular as a desktop OS when is so fucking hard to get anything working on it.

Sometimes I love linux, sometimes I just wish I could install a program and get it working in less then 5 hours and 50 different errors(if I can get it to work at all, of course).

Vla

Argh, cant run
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:45:39 am »
Right, if something does not work, blame the Operation System.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Argh, cant run
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:30:54 pm »
Please no flamewars here! Everybody knows Linux is the best. :P

As for your problems, you'll be dissapointed by the quality of the windows RC3 (we've made sure win does not get any unfair advantage :) ). Perhaps compile SVN trunk yourself on Linux, or try RC4 when it comes out? I the problems stem from some 64bit conflicts of the libs, compilation will surely help...